Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectspotting celebrities in public.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12836113
12836113, spotting celebrities in public.
Posted by Somnus, Mon Jun-22-15 11:12 AM
Hugh Dancy walked pass me the other day and I screamed out upon recognition (and not knowing his real name at the time) 'YO WILL GRAHAM! WUTUP MAYNE?'

he gave me a short nod with a slightly shocked, half smile, kinda bewildered look on his face and continued on.

You think actors/actresses secretly despise that shit? Like being called by the name of the characters they play on tv/film?
12836168, secretly lol...yes they despise that shit
Posted by tomjohn29, Mon Jun-22-15 11:47 AM
unless we are in a social setting i dont speak
no need to
12836221, yeah I sorta realized in that split second that my reaction was--
Posted by Somnus, Mon Jun-22-15 12:12 PM
bitchmade but fuckit...I see you out & about, I dig your work, I'm shouting you out

he was walking down 6 Ave in the vil, he had to expect some type of attention

sorry if I'm not a hot blonde lol
12836275, Shake my hand,make it a firm shake, say what up Ice Cube, then break
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Mon Jun-22-15 12:53 PM

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12836286, no. I'm secure enough in my manhood to shrill w/ glee upon--
Posted by Somnus, Mon Jun-22-15 01:02 PM
seeing my heroes in person. Don't judge me lol
12836172, I don't wanna be dick riding - Riley Freeman
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Jun-22-15 11:49 AM
12836224, hahaha!
Posted by Somnus, Mon Jun-22-15 12:13 PM
12836184, i've run into ones that expected me to recognize them & speak
Posted by SooperEgo, Mon Jun-22-15 11:55 AM
i think it fucked with them that i saw them, knew who they were, and kept it moving cuz i didn't care enough to offer much of a reaction
12836229, my coworker who was walking ahead of me and heard gave--
Posted by Somnus, Mon Jun-22-15 12:22 PM
me the :-/ face when I explained who dude was on some 'muhfucka you see all this scantily clad ass out here and THAT'S what youre noticing?' lol
12836351, i love how you're all inside their heads knowing their thoughts n shit...
Posted by Damali, Mon Jun-22-15 01:40 PM
that's impressive

d
12836187, it varies wildly.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jun-22-15 11:55 AM
some like it and some don't. some like it at certain times and dislike it at other times.

12837180, ^^
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Tue Jun-23-15 12:03 PM
alot totally enjoy it
alot are jaded by now
some are fresh and new and still dig it

I saw Michael Shannon at Laguardia, he was on the phone, I didnt say shit!
12836201, AJ Johnson loves it and will answer to Sherane. Lol I love her for it.
Posted by ThisIs_ATruthThang, Mon Jun-22-15 12:02 PM
Taraji says it doesn't bother her being called Cookie. I think it depends on the role, the success of the project, and how long ago they played the role. If you made a million dollars playing a character, might not be so bad being called by your character name?

Maybe some people are just assholes though.

I couldn't imagine calling Angela Bassett Anna Mae or Bernie (Waiting to Exhale)
12836202, I generally keep it moving
Posted by tully_blanchard, Mon Jun-22-15 12:02 PM
We were in Piedmont Park last summer and Jack Black and his kids were there. They were waiting for daughter to come down the sliding board and they were talking about Minecraft and stuff. My daughter came down the slide, saw who it was and got really quiet, lol. Just nodded at them and we went on.

But then we saw Allen Iverson in Lenox Mall, and it was like he was looking at me to look at him to recognize him. Gave him a nod and went on.

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr
12836205, actors who get annoyed need to find another job
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jun-22-15 12:05 PM
12836226, i've worked in places celebs frequent-
Posted by kinetic94761180, Mon Jun-22-15 12:14 PM
(restaurants)

you are generally taught/expected to treat them as if they are regular guests

they tend to appreciate this.

although, you do get the occasional asshat who wants you to know who they are....
12836233, NNN
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Jun-22-15 12:25 PM
>(
>
>although, you do get the occasional asshat who wants you to
>know who they are....
12836239, Earthquake came in the cigar shop on Saturday
Posted by esb225, Mon Jun-22-15 12:26 PM
only the black folks noticed him though

i said these aint jokes and he chuckled
12836650, Earthquake is underrated IMO.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Mon Jun-22-15 08:54 PM
That negro is hilarious.
12836248, nah i imagine they hate it
Posted by teefiveten, Mon Jun-22-15 12:32 PM
if it's quiet/intimate enough and it's a social setting like a bar or a party i may approach but usually i just get some eye contact and smile/nod

12836290, i scared the shit outta Cole Hamels once.
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-22-15 01:03 PM
May '09. Walking through the city and I see this guy walking this tiny little girl dog across the street. I laugh to myself like, "This dude's wife or girl better be fucking dope for him to have to do this." I cross the street still chuckling to myself, make eye contact, realize who it is, and with no filter laugh out maniacally "haha hey Cole Hamels!!!" He was like "eh... Hey" and kept moving. I felt like an asshole but the shit made me laugh
12836336, Bette Midler walked past me last night in Georgetown.
Posted by MME, Mon Jun-22-15 01:27 PM
I was waiting for the 30N bus on M street, and I instantly recognized her. I was such a bamma, I said "Hi, Bette Midler" and she breezed on past, waved, but the look on her face was like "don't bother me" LOL
12836382, I see Delroy Lindo all the time at the Farmer's Market I go to.
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jun-22-15 02:04 PM
He's lived in that neighborhood for close to 20 years though, so no one really bats an eye. And he's usually there with his kids, so I imagine he doesn't want to be bothered.

Also, I saw Andrew Bogut (the center for the Dubs) at a burger joint the wife and I like to go to the weekend before last. He was with who I imagine was his girlfriend, brother, father, and a few other entourage members. He was also trying very hard not to be noticed, which is difficult if you're 7 ft. tall. He was scrunched down all the way in his seat. So the wife and I both figured he wanted to be left alone. Before we realized who he was, I'd gotten up from my chair to look for an extra menu, and everyone at his table turned around and ice-grilled me. So yeah, he definitely didn't want anyone saying anything to him.
12837105, Love Delroy....
Posted by RS, Tue Jun-23-15 11:14 AM
For years I would see this dude at my barber shop, always reading scripts while his son was getting cut.....it finally hit me that it was delroy after like 3 years....
12837340, you would appreciate or hate me for this being in east Bay
Posted by josephmurf2384, Tue Jun-23-15 03:06 PM
or you might think i'm an asshole. I don't pay much attention to baseball but knew the A's were somewhat good last year. Coco Crisp lived at the hotel we stay at for work and i had put a few back. He walked into the bar and got a drink i said "Congrats on making the playoffs" he looked at me and said "we haven't made it yet" downs his drink and leaves. The next thing i notice is the bartender ice grilling me telling me i'm an asshole. About 15 minutes later teh tag line on Sportscenter is A's in the midst of epic collapse. They were apparently on somewhat of a long losing streak. I felt like an asshole afterwards and he apparently doesn't stay at that hotel anymore.
12837364, LOL. Can't front, that definitely would have gone over like a lead balloon
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jun-23-15 03:40 PM
Last season the A's started off the season by being by far the best team in the Majors. Then after the All-Star break they completely fell apart, and barely scraped their way in with like a game or two left. And yeah, you probably saw him in August/September where they couldn't pay for a win.
12836540, Nick Nolte didnt want a scene to be crerated
Posted by rdhull, Mon Jun-22-15 05:09 PM
12836544, Walking around NYC I see famous mofo all the time.
Posted by bwood, Mon Jun-22-15 05:14 PM
Also see them all the time at after parties after screenings.
12836559, Jazze Pha has scared the fuck outta me, twice.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Jun-22-15 05:37 PM
I was in HMV when it was in Lenox, in the back where the R&B and International sections were, and I happened to look at the front of the store like, "Oh wow, that's Jazze Pha." 2 seconds later, I feel a whoosh, and he's standing right next to me.

I was in Cumberland, headed to the FootAction, and I felt a small whoosh near my legs, and some kids ran by, then felt a much larger whoosh from gotdamn Jazze Pha, again.

I think I've told my "Flo Rida gives good hugs" story here.
12836599, I saw Charles Blow at Brooklyn street fair yesterday
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jun-22-15 07:02 PM
I was talking to this random dude about Transracial Rachel and dude happens to walk by. I say to guy I am talking to "Coincidentally, that's Charles B from the NYTIMES who went in on Rachel". I would have played it cool but the dude I was with called out his name and went over to say what's up.

Dude was cool and when I said jokingly "why you gonna give the wannabe sister such a hard time?" He laughed and was pretty cool and open to talking about it. Actually he was more persuasive in person than reading his article from last week.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12836607, I ran into Chili from TLC in Atlanta
Posted by neuro_OSX, Mon Jun-22-15 07:20 PM
I had no idea she was so little.. She walkin about the Schoolbox store with her son, I'm approaching, she smiling at me, I didnt realize who she was until my then girlfriend walking a ways behind me said "hi Chilli" lol

She was lookin good though.. lawd habmercy!! HAHA
12836651, She was eating at a table not too far from ours in Lenox Mall.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Mon Jun-22-15 08:57 PM
This was when TLC was still poppin' back in the day.

Since 1976
12836610, Lots of kinda celebrities in this post.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jun-22-15 07:23 PM
12836645, Yeah, living in NYC I end up seeing celebrities all the time
Posted by nipsey, Mon Jun-22-15 08:48 PM
I've never approached a celebrity though. I don't want to be *that guy*. I just let them go on about their business.

I've seen:

Tim Gunn on the UWS. I think he was walking home.
Debi Mazar in Soho.
George Snuffleupagus on the UES
Passed Carla from Top Chef and The Chew on my lunch break a few weeks ago Chris Rock at Garden State Plaza shopping with his daughter back in May. Rick Fox in a hotel bar during last year's NBA Draft
S. Epatha Merkerson at a small off broadway play in Union Square a few years ago
12836685, Muthafukkin Tatyana Ali! ! !
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Mon Jun-22-15 10:28 PM
My band had gig in LA(this was like almost 10 years ago)...

We were leaving the spot, cruisin down Sunset blvd when we see
this fine ass Nubile stumblin' out the club faded....

Ninjaz glanced, looked at each other....den it hit us like "OH SHIT SUN! ITS TATYANA ALI!" on some Chappelle/WayneBrady shit.

My ninja, when I tell you she was faded, I'm talkin F.A.D.E.D....two people on both sides had to hold her up to keep her from falling as they walked to the car. We strolled up, said Hi and all dat, my keyboard player was in the front seat and cold threw our CD into her car.....LOL.

Shit was funny as hell and YES....she fine as hell, like...drink-her-bathwater-FINE! Goddamn....

12837191, lord
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Tue Jun-23-15 12:10 PM
bless that woman
12837417, yo, Tatyana Ali be at all the parties man.
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Tue Jun-23-15 05:05 PM
12836688, I got at least 3 Sactown Kings stories and they ALL on some diva shit.
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Mon Jun-22-15 10:32 PM
If it get good ta me, I'll break dem shits out....

Right now, finna go roll some *thangs up.

12836708, One of them HAS to involve Mike Bibby lol
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Jun-22-15 11:17 PM
12836722, SUN!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Tue Jun-23-15 12:08 AM
12837113, Webber and Divac really the only coo King players
Posted by soken, Tue Jun-23-15 11:19 AM
everyone else mad diva
12837198, ^ ^ ^This is actual Facts!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Tue Jun-23-15 12:20 PM
12837464, what about yt chocolate??
Posted by noseitall, Tue Jun-23-15 06:48 PM
jason williams

peace.
~~~~~~~~~

my hard head makes me learn shit the hard way - t.i.

my greatest enemy is my inner me - lupe fiasco
12837260, one involve jackie christie?
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jun-23-15 01:28 PM
lol
12837355, Naw, ...but I'm finna jumpz it off!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Tue Jun-23-15 03:26 PM
12836696, Rafael Saadiq....
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Mon Jun-22-15 10:41 PM
"But do he got mo heauxz den me?"....."Why yes,....yes he does."

Junior year in high school I usedta work at UA Theater in DowntownPlaza(for my Sactown ninjaz)....

Dis ninja R.Saadiq usedta smooth thru dat camp Infamously *JawnDeep
on some ol...http://i.imgur.com/v1CE4MY.gif

and AWALLL dem Breezys was bad!

Shit was just a regular Tuesday for dis ninja...LOL.

12836704, hugh dancy is delicious
Posted by shamus, Mon Jun-22-15 10:59 PM
i would love to see him in person. i would not call out though.
12836719, saw JB Smoove in downtown BK recently. dude stuck out big time
Posted by double negative, Mon Jun-22-15 11:57 PM
12836726, I was at Awesome Con a few weeks back & Phil Lamar walked passed me
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Tue Jun-23-15 12:45 AM
I ain't say nunn tho.

I was at Perimeter Mall in ATL & I saw R.L. from Next as he was walking past me, I ain't say nunn tho.

In Korea, I saw Ashford & Simpson getting out of a limo to the hotel we & all visitors of Yangsun visit, I ain't say nunn tho.

I saw Antoine Dodson while looking for supplies during the 2011 tornado that tore up Alabama. Walked passed him, he was wearing a Nicki Minaj shirt & shit, I ain't say nunn tho.
12836744, i saw Lennox Lewis in Jamaica whilst I was on holiday
Posted by Birdzeye, Tue Jun-23-15 05:10 AM
He was just chilling out on a balcony in a shopping area with some of his mates. I was with a small group of people and someone shouted up to him and motioned for him to come speak to us.

He came down from the balcony and spoke to us, took pictures and talked into our video camera about his love for the island of Jamaica. This was about a year after he'd retired and we were asking him about returning to fight Klitchsko, and he was half joking saying "I might do".

He was an absolute star and has my upmost respect for how he handled it.
12836792, my family kicked it with him and his camp in the Poconos years ago
Posted by Government Name, Tue Jun-23-15 08:16 AM
he was at the resort training and we were up there on an extended family vacation. we were cooking huge dinners every night and one night he accidentally strolled into our condo/house thinking it was his. he stayed and kicked it for a minute, and for the rest of the week our two groups were cool. plus we were the only black folks up there at the time
12837234, RE: my family kicked it with him and his camp in the Poconos years ago
Posted by Birdzeye, Tue Jun-23-15 12:53 PM
That's cool! The guy is a class act!
12837182, thats awesome
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Tue Jun-23-15 12:05 PM
12836767, I saw Bono at Starbucks once and Kool Moe Dee at Whole Foods.
Posted by Fishgrease, Tue Jun-23-15 07:59 AM
12837150, KMD weigh like 300lbs. he was there buying the Whole hot food buffet
Posted by SooperEgo, Tue Jun-23-15 11:44 AM
12837081, passed ce ce penniston on the street in ATL looking absolutely
Posted by mikediggz, Tue Jun-23-15 11:05 AM
amazing...i did a double take and said whats up ce ce like i knew her...she waved and smiled and we both kept it movin
12837168, keep on walkin, I ain't talkin to you anymore...
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jun-23-15 11:56 AM
12837176, I saw Jeffrey Wright in Brooklyn Moon Cafe... I spoke
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jun-23-15 11:58 AM
Told him I appreciated his work and shook his hand.

If he was annoyed I didn't care... fuck his feelings.

12837252, The Rican lesbian from Big Brother 2013 lives one subway stop
Posted by Teknontheou, Tue Jun-23-15 01:16 PM
in from me. I used to see her all the time but never had the balls to say anything.

12837258, unless they are at an appearance or something
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jun-23-15 01:26 PM
just a simple head nod is acceptable behavior.

If you catch them in a secluded situation, maybe an attempt at convo or dap and picture if that is like your most fav celebrity of all time is acceptable behavior. At the same time, it could be that day they ddon't want to be bothered so if they don't engage you, that is an acceptable response imo.

Trying to talk to a celeb when they dining or with kids is an extreme no-no in all circumstances imo.

Only celeb that I got the cold shoulder from was Walt Clyde Frazier.
12837305, Didn't realize Stephen A Smith was so tall. He has the voice and face
Posted by micMajestic, Tue Jun-23-15 02:38 PM
of a little man, but he's close to 6'3. Online it says "6'1" but he's def taller than that. I saw dude at Whole Foods, not gonna lie I would been a fake thug and mean mugged him if he were closer to my height (5'11), I'm not a fan of his shtick.

Let my love slide in and never slip out
12837315, Woody Paige is mad tall too. Mark Schlereth is not
Posted by Marbles, Tue Jun-23-15 02:47 PM

Schlereth looked maybe 6'1 or 6'2. For some reason I thought he was a bit taller than that.

Woody Paige on the other hand is a strong 6'4 or 6'5.

Das EFX look like toddlers dressed as adults.
12837321, I can kinda tell Woody Paige is tall. And we should salute Das Efx for
Posted by micMajestic, Tue Jun-23-15 02:51 PM
>
> Schlereth looked maybe 6'1 or 6'2. For some reason I thought
>he was a bit taller than that.
>
> Woody Paige on the other hand is a strong 6'4 or 6'5.
>
> Das EFX look like toddlers dressed as adults.

dressing like adults, not make fun of them lol. I literally thought they would be stuck dressing in early 90's fashion for the rest of their lives. They probably can get a lot of nice stuff on sale too, you know the small sizes are the last ones left on the clearance rack.

Let my love slide in and never slip out
12837327, I saw Vanessa Williams while on my honeymoon
Posted by Mack, Tue Jun-23-15 02:56 PM
was walking down this path with my wife and noticed a lady sitting on a bench all by herself. While walking right past her I thought to myself, "wow, she looks like Vanessa Williams". I turn the corner, and there's Rick Fox in line waiting to buy ice cream. I turn around like "damn, that IS Vanessa Williams!" Needless to say, my wife of then 2 days wasn't too pleased with me....but it was Vanessa Williams!
12837373, Met most of my "celebs" working Front Desk at Equinox
Posted by DVS, Tue Jun-23-15 03:46 PM
Michael Jordan (and his sister, who looks just like a male Michael **shudder**)
Ramsey Lewis
DMC

did the Soul Brother head nod to Sen. Barack Obama as he breezed through the lobby dolo.

But the most fun was when I see Bo Outlaw and this other dude coming down the elevator.

By the time they reach the bottom I'm like "Mr. Outlaw....how are you doing brother!!!"
Bo: I'm good my man....you know me then I KNOW you know this dude that's standing next to me!!

**looking down my glasses at Bo**

Me: I ride for the Salukies I don't know WHO the fuck this dude is....

**turn to dude**

Me: May I see your ID Mr. Augustine?

they both laughed at that one.

D
12837379, Ran into Stuart Scott years ago in Durham
Posted by tully_blanchard, Tue Jun-23-15 03:49 PM
He was with his wife in the mall, and she was pregnant. They were stopped in one of the stores, and I'm not sure what they were talking about, but he had his hands on her stomach, almost like he was teaching her something.

Did not look like the time to walk up and yell "BOOYAH!", so i just walked on by

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr