Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwhats the biggest fuck up you've ever done to wreck your credit?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12834248
12834248, whats the biggest fuck up you've ever done to wreck your credit?
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-18-15 03:12 PM
I'm rebuilding/building my credit up

I've never ever ever had a credit card because I see it as something to be afraid of. I see no good in it.

oh, I have a fuckload of student debt and this is why I have made sure to avoid credit cards

but

the world runs on credit and bullshit so I gotta build now.

I'm sure I'm not going to spend it on Nikes, iPads or an iced out wrist, but, I'm still worried. Worrying is allowed.

Its a game and a LOT of people just lose at it.

That said (while I'm reading up on this and researching) to ease my mind, I'm curious what crazy fuck ups some of you all went through while you were young, dumb and armed with a fresh credit card.

yes, I read the fool, mr money, r/personalfinance

still.

still.

still.
12834258, I've seldom used mine until recently
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu Jun-18-15 03:20 PM
and I only use a CC all the time now because I get airline miles.

It's always seemed like a trap to me and I've preferred to just use my debit card. When I do use my CC, I don't spend more money than I have, and I pay it off in full every month. I'm fortunate to be able to do that, but I've never thought "Fuck it, I'm gonna buy this thing anyway. Ill pay for it eventually."
12834260, Took My Wife's Student Debt
Posted by RexLongfellow, Thu Jun-18-15 03:22 PM
Now it's on me, and it's a shitload

I had little debt and solid credit. Now my credit is shit.

Add some of her medical bills on top of that and you got a nice gumbo

This is one of the reasons she knows I love her ass!
12834272, went to an HBCU and got credit cards b/c off the free tshirt offer.
Posted by Fishgrease, Thu Jun-18-15 03:27 PM
PHUCK colleges and universities that allow these predators onto their campuses.

12834276, I did that but them 7 years are up.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jun-18-15 03:30 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12834280, this was me
Posted by John Forte, Thu Jun-18-15 03:33 PM
12834289, Oh I'm far removed from that as well....more like 15 yrs ago but yet
Posted by Fishgrease, Thu Jun-18-15 03:44 PM
and still at the time it phucked my credit up really bad.

12834301, mine are up this month!
Posted by labcoat, Thu Jun-18-15 03:58 PM
woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12834357, I got that MBNA with the t shirt, I was 20
Posted by j., Thu Jun-18-15 05:33 PM
with a 2 grand limit so of course I thought free money!
I traveled to SD and LA, those two trips took me years to pay back

all that shit been off my report, at my most fucked up I had a 530 FICO score.

12834707, same here. tshirts/cups etc. they should definitely change that.
Posted by earthseed, Fri Jun-19-15 09:33 AM
12834279, I paid a state tax bill too late. NY Issued a warrant. I was heated because
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Jun-18-15 03:31 PM
we were disputing the liability and they gave no notice before issuing the warrant.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12834556, thats how georgia is, they put that tax lien on with the quickness
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Fri Jun-19-15 07:17 AM
i was hot it was like barely a year after i had the tax owed. its resolved and removed now but i was like dang yall just go from not paying to fucking up folks credit in like less than a year
12834286, Buying from a shady auto dealer
Posted by Tw3nty, Thu Jun-18-15 03:40 PM
bought a car knowing I had bad credit, could consistently pay the high note.
12834292, iPods. I reupped every time back in the day.
Posted by jetblack, Thu Jun-18-15 03:47 PM
Killed my FICO.

I have great credit now.
12834294, wait....how? its just an ipod...
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-18-15 03:50 PM
oh, wait, thats right ipods were like 350 and up back in the day
12834296, went to college.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jun-18-15 03:55 PM
had a gang of cards, like 10.

never late though. consolidated them onto one later on and now that one will be paid in 3 years.
12834302, 10 cards? lordy lordy. thats rapper big!
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-18-15 04:02 PM
12834298, I've never thought of it as anything but money out of my pocket...
Posted by Wonderl33t, Thu Jun-18-15 03:56 PM
I pay almost everything with my CC including my rent (yeee Amazon points) and I pay it every month, never carrying a balance (so no interest ever). But I keep track of what I spend and I know what my usual monthly budget is. So it actually helps my spending habits because I see a hard number at the end of the month telling me what I spent.

It's actually bad to never have credit. The more credit you have and use, the better your credit rating will be. I request increases on my CC limits (I have two CCs) every couple of years and I get a couple thousand bump every time. I don't know what my FICO score is, but I think it's good.

http://i.imgur.com/81XSukd.jpg <-- Happy trails
12834330, how do you keep track of your spending?
Posted by double negative, Thu Jun-18-15 04:42 PM
mint?

spreadsheet?

12834358, RE: how do you keep track of your spending?
Posted by Wonderl33t, Thu Jun-18-15 05:37 PM
I log in to my CC web site about once a week or so and review the charges. I'm on a computer all day at work so it's easy to log in and check regularly.

>mint?
>
>spreadsheet?
>
>

Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jun-18-15 07:49 PM
he used his Discover (I'm sure a pretty hefty limit, considering he was a independent business owner) for EVERYTHING. He said he used it for everything humanly possible...and then paid it off in full at the end of the month before interest was charged. he said keep your cash in the bank to earn interest as long as possible, use the card, then pay it off before you have to pay in interest on your purchases.
12834326, Tie between college and having a drug addict for a mother.
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Jun-18-15 04:34 PM
(btw, this isn't me speaking ill of her. Just facts)
12834350, If you want to build your credit then get a credit card
Posted by Actuals, Thu Jun-18-15 05:12 PM
Its the quickest way to build up your credit score. You can get one of those secured lines of credit where your credit limit is based on your deposit, say like $200. Capital One has a good one. Keep your balance under 20% of your credit limit and pay all your bills on time. If you follow this formula and you don't have any charge offs or collections, you'll have excellent credit. Also don't apply for any credit that you don't need, i.e. department store charge cards and things like that.
12834442, good info
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jun-18-15 07:45 PM
12834432, i bought a movie ticket with credit card i never used, then forgot it
Posted by Stevie Lee, Thu Jun-18-15 07:24 PM
then I ignored the capital one letters figuring they were junk. I don't even know why I had that card in my wallet.

$150 to see a movie. I don't even remember what movie, but it sure as fuck wasn't worth the "serious delinquency" bullet point on my credit report.
12834435, Got a checking account with a girl from south bay (Fremont)
Posted by Castro, Thu Jun-18-15 07:29 PM
12834441, first, deposited one of those we will put
Posted by sosumi, Thu Jun-18-15 07:45 PM
$2000 in your account today! checks sent to jobless college students
which wanted to be paid back $100 a month
mom was like deposit it and give me $500
ghost when the payments came due… eventual judgement

second, found out a high school friend used my info on a utility bill
they let go unpaid and I did not name names when trying to contest
it on my credit report… but 7 years like stated above
12834531, Stopped reading statements and assumed the minimum going out was enough.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Fri Jun-19-15 03:30 AM
Had a 5 year period in my 20s where I really couldn't be fucked with admin and figured since all my Direct Debits were set up, I didn't even need to open statements. Had a little balance, but was just servicing it with the minimum.

At some point during the credit crisis Barclays decided I wasn't worthy of my limit anymore so reduced it to BELOW what I already owed. Spent the best part of 18 months over my limit and still only paying the minimum due.

I reckon that must've fucked me up a bit, but managed to get through checks for a mortgage recently so I guess I've sorted it out since. Until the mortgage kicks in I'm debt free right now. Feels good.
12834552, Nothing *knock wood*
Posted by DaHeathenOne76, Fri Jun-19-15 06:38 AM
My oldest sister effed up so badly, I still am scared to pull the trigger on stuff.

She declared bankruptcy at age 24 College credit card shams she had 15 and only a work study WHILE at HAMPTON. $MH
. . . If I have something to say when there is a reason involved, I am perfectly willing to talk. Katherine Hepburn
12834663, Credit card from Reeds Jewelers when I turned 18 and got a gold chain.
Posted by DavidHasselhoff, Fri Jun-19-15 09:05 AM
Made like 4 payments on the thing then started slipping. It was a nice ass chain tho. I think I took it off once in the 5 years I owned it.
12834736, RE: whats the biggest fuck up you've ever done to wreck your credit?
Posted by TR808, Fri Jun-19-15 09:52 AM
I went into a mall and bought everything that had a polo logo on it. I think I spent almost 3 grand ... and then never paid the bill

I went to the store one day and the lady actually was told by the credit card company to take my card and cut it up in front of me..

that was the worst...

12837719, Is it true that you can dispute and item on your credit and then when
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jun-24-15 08:52 AM
someone immediately checks your credit while it's in dispute that item won't show up on your credit?

12837749, intentionally? charging up cards & not paying them on time
Posted by StephBMore, Wed Jun-24-15 09:07 AM
unintentionally? getting my car repossed when i didn't have the money to pay for it because I was laid off...and i chose eating over the car. Mind you, i TRIED hard with the bank to work out a plan but they was like "nah ask your parents for the money" and i got pissed and said "my parents are dead. why would you say that to me" and cried and they apologized and never called back. still took my car tho.