Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecti am. which is exactly why I posted and agreed with Mat Johnson's
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12817587&mesg_id=12818349
12818349, i am. which is exactly why I posted and agreed with Mat Johnson's
Posted by astralblak, Sun May-31-15 07:07 PM
Mulatto essay. Not the way he constructed it or the term, but the core of what he's saying.

You and I (yes I know you a mixed Black like me), and Mat Johnson, and K & P DON'T experience Black/ness like Desus and Crissle. It's the truth, and ain't a damn thing wrong with that.

Do white folk still assume, mumble and project Blackness onto us, even utter nigger, in regard to those like us? Absolutely. But they also can assume other, safer, and intepret us as different. And "we" can also embrace or "escape" into our other ethnicities and cultures which Black people cannot.

We all afriad to have this convo cause both sides are assuming it's an are you Black enough discussion, or you really down discussion, a divide and conquer house nigga - field nigga discussion, when yeah, that's a small part of it, but really its about situated knowledge(s) and experiences and how we speak truth to power and being careful of what and how we speak when we claiming to speak for a particular community we may not really be a part of.

That last part is really what Desus and Crissle were getting at. Though it had a hint of they act like white boys to it.