Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI struggle with this too
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12814265&mesg_id=12814744
12814744, I struggle with this too
Posted by Sarah_Bellum, Tue May-26-15 02:54 PM
I miss Us and the way we do things a lot... specifically the food, language and southern cultural references. I found a handful of Black friends but Ive had a hard time extending it beyond the ones I met when I first moved here. Everyone says it's lots they in bed stuy but honestly in the past 5 years I haven't met anyone from bedstuy that wasn't West Indian. I really live too far from Harlem to be go on random negro hunting trips up there but that's where everyone swears they are too. I don't know...
My BF swears I'm not WOKE because I say the culture is similar but there are differences, yet he stays making fun of my southernisms. He was mad at me the other day because I got some properly seasoned and hard fried whiting at the Dance Africa and I wouldn't share. You know how hard it is to get properly seasoned hard fried whiting in Nyc? I get that shit like twice a year when the Muslims come up from philly for the street fairs. Touch my fish and I'll have a conniption.

DJTB YOMM