Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTalking Cars On Tuesday: The garage is open for whatever
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12809380
12809380, Talking Cars On Tuesday: The garage is open for whatever
Posted by spenzalii, Tue May-19-15 02:38 PM
So, the new Camaro finally dropped over the weekend:

http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-camaro/

Exterior is a nice evolution, nothing too drastic. I like the front end a lot, especially with the LED DRLs. The fake 'gills' on the 3/4 panel behind the door are gone, which is good. I'm less enthused about the rear end, as the horizontal lights never worked for me. I think the SS suffers a bit from too much Pep Boys syndrome, with the added slats, vents, mesh grill and really ugly rear spoiler (it looks like a misshapen paper clip).

The interior is a world away from the crapbox interior that they carried on for years. That's not saying much though. I like the integrated controls in the vents (a la Audi) and the big touch screen looks nice, along with the similar sized screen in the instrument panel. I'll need to actually sit in one before passing final judgment, as looks and reality are often 2 different things at GM (see the Vette interior)

The L200 was finally towed away. While it never really felt special like my SL2 did, I still felt some kind of way about the whole thing. Writing this blog post is helping, but it's taking too long to finish up. I may have it done next week and break it up into two posts. Haven't decided yet.

MFT definitely does not like my iPod Classic. Even after installing an upgrade to MFT it still hangs or crashes while playing. Apparently there's a program you can run from Ford that may fix a few things, but it has to do something to the iPod through iTunes to do it. Not sure I like that idea. All the more reason to hack my iPod Photo and just leave that in the car. Assuming the Photo works with MFT, anyway

Add on
12809393, that camaro is uuuuugly. what yall think of the 370z line?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-19-15 02:45 PM
im not in the market for one but i'm just doing some scouting to see what kind of shit i like.

challenger >>>> mustang > camaro.
that current challenger run looks mean as fuck.
12809504, 370Z isn't bad at all. Just not my taste
Posted by spenzalii, Tue May-19-15 03:37 PM
Somehow it never quite captured the feel the OG 300ZX had. Some angles the car looks lumpy, and the V6, while stout, soulds like a pissed off Dyson
12809540, what's some other cars in a similar range
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-19-15 03:53 PM
like would a 335i be considered a competitor? or is that in another segment of cars.
12809586, The Z is in a weird group. Depends on your taste
Posted by spenzalii, Tue May-19-15 04:10 PM
A lot of people tend to see anything with just 2 doors as a 'sports car', but that doesn't quite work, even though you have people that would cross shop wildly different type of 2 door coupes.

I think the most natural comparison would be something like, say, the Genesis coupe. But for the money you're also competing with the likes of a Mustang or Camaro. While underpowered something like the MIata plays in that field. A few options and a few thousand dollars up and you're looking at an Audi TT, BMW Z4 or even the Cayman. Some even cross shop hot hatches, like the WRX, GTI or Focus ST. Could you put a BMW 2 Series in the mix? Probably. All depends on what moves you with a car like this.
12809621, in the 90's the 350/370's competition was crystal clear
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Tue May-19-15 04:41 PM
Back then it was the Toyota Supra, the Diamond Star twins (Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT), Mazda RX7, and even the Corvette.

These days only the Vette exists, and with the C5 it moved up the ladder away from the Z cars.

This leaves it in a weird place: It clearly outclasses other 2 door/2 seat sports cars (Genesis coupe, Kia Forte, Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ, etc...). it doesn't really fit in with the Mustang/Camaro pony cars, but it's not quite a contender in the "big boy" league of sports cars like the 911 or Vette.

The only cars I can see it competing with are the Lexus RC and Porsche Cayman, but you're looking at a $12-$20K difference in price so maybe they're not even a good fit.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.
12809645, am I the only one who thinks the current Z is a better car, but less appealing
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-19-15 05:10 PM
than the early/mid-00s 350z/whatever the other one was ?

I think it's a better car now, but I wanted the old one, and I don't want the new one at all

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
12809654, the old one is what made me post this
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-19-15 05:23 PM
>but I wanted the old one, and I
>don't want the new one at all

didnt know the 350 been discontinued since 09. then i lost an hour at work looking at other car shit..
12809665, If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 350Z but...
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Tue May-19-15 05:35 PM
... if I had the Infinity G35 coupe to pick from as well, I'll grab that in a heartbeat 'cause it's a waaay better looking car.

You're right though: The 370Z is a technically better car, but I'd prefer than 350 over it.

I'd still take a 2nd Gen (Z32) 300ZX-TT over any of them though.

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
12809693, Progress isn't always progress, I suppose
Posted by spenzalii, Tue May-19-15 06:09 PM
The 370 is a better car than the 350 in just about any metric. But there is something about the 370 that just doesn't push the same buttons as the 350
12810191, ^^^all of this
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-20-15 11:23 AM

12809976, Infiniti G37s(no its called the q60)
Posted by GrumpySmurf, Wed May-20-15 09:32 AM
12810135, I absolutely HATE Infinity's naming scheme
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 11:03 AM
I have no idea what's what anymore, and frankly stopped caring
12810194, should have stuck with the 'G' line... everything being Q is confusing
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 11:25 AM
unless every model ends up being a new one.

12810248, or just give them fucking names
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-20-15 11:55 AM
even dumb names are better than letters

lincoln is FINALLY walking that bullshit back

12810421, Word
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 01:27 PM
I get a lot of Teutonic marques go with the alphanumeric models, but those are getting confusing too (looking at you BMW). Not sure what's wrong with a name.

Lincoln is pretty bad with theirs too. MK-fill-in-the-blank just doesn't cut it.
12810481, yeah, I was not a fan of the Lincoln 'non-names'
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 01:59 PM
>lincoln is FINALLY walking that bullshit back

even though I kind of associate those models with those "non-names" now. it's almost fitting, as so much of their line is anonymous for the most part.

When that Continental comes along they NEED to have a strong undercard.

I wonder what they'd call the MKC under the new naming scheme.

12810513, you gotta admit though, the LS was a better car than any other Lincoln
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 02:20 PM
you can go back 20 years prior and up to the present: The Lincoln LS looked like a world class luxury car. It didn't look like a stretched Taurus (like the Continental) or have weird ass lines grafted onto another platform (i.e. the MK VII and MK VIII). I'd gladly bounce an LS.

It shared its platform with a Jaguar, but had zero in common with it from a styling perspective.

The MKZ, however, looks like a Fusion with a new front end on it. It's almost as bad as the old Cadillac Cimmaron (Cavalier with a Caddy grill)

12810529, with all respects to my man Rjcc...the LS was some bullshit, lol...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 02:23 PM
maybe the idea was good...but the execution was fucked. I dunno if I ever seen a car with so many fuckin issues. I made some good side money off them joints, though.
12810800, LOL you know I loved my LS. that car was so fuckin horrible
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-20-15 05:57 PM
in terms of reliability omg

12810579, NOTHING was as bad as the Cimmaron, fam...
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 02:48 PM

>The MKZ, however, looks like a Fusion with a new front end on
>it. It's almost as bad as the old Cadillac Cimmaron (Cavalier
>with a Caddy grill)
>

That shit was a low point in badge engineering. I mean, at least the MKZ did some styling in the rear quarter panel to make a difference, as well as the front and rear clip. Not copping pleas, as it still looks like a Fusion, and it doesn't necessarily look better either. But that Cemmaron? Replace the bow tie badges with wreaths, add higher quality vinyl and claim it's leather, and you're done.
12810593, lol...I remember one of my pop's closest potnas went out and copped one...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 02:55 PM
shit was always broke. They used to give him the business about it, too. Joint was gold with brown/tan interior.
12810609, Bad beyond words. But here's a few:
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 03:04 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carlustblog.com%2F2009%2F02%2Fcimarron-by-cadillac-19811988.html&ei=iOhcVbfAKdDvggTK34G4Cg&bvm=bv.93756505,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNF3JSNN0iA_YLKvAskfnS86zd5kzQ&ust=1432238588164947
12810622, The last Cimmaron update made you look at the car like "they tried"
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 03:10 PM
but it still looked too "Cavalier-ish".

The MKZ still looks enough like a Fusion that it harkens back to those dark days.

12810757, That's a reach too far
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 04:44 PM
If you said the Fusion and the Millan, yeah, you'd be right. But the MKZ does a bit more to differentiate the two, both exterior and interior. They're close, yes, but not nearly as bad as that Cimmaron (then again very little was that bad)
12810197, they haven't built a car since the G35 that made me care to learn
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-20-15 11:25 AM

12810339, The G35 Coupe and Sedan were tough to beat
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 12:49 PM

12809584, the 350/370 looks chunky compared to the sleeker 300ZX
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Tue May-19-15 04:10 PM
Nissan was clearly shooting for a 911-esque look for the 350Z, but going from the 300ZX's low slung profile to the 350's just didn't sit well with me. Adding styling cues the 370Z has from the older 240/260/280Z really makes it look like frankencar to me.

12810199, well, shit, if you taking it back to the 300...
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 11:27 AM
>Nissan was clearly shooting for a 911-esque look for the
>350Z, but going from the 300ZX's low slung profile to the
>350's just didn't sit well with me. Adding styling cues the
>370Z has from the older 240/260/280Z really makes it look like
>frankencar to me.

the 300 is probably my favorite Z car of them all. '90s Japanese sports cars were a golden age, IMO.
12810193, 350 aesthetic wise >>> 370
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 11:24 AM
>challenger >>>> mustang > camaro.
>that current challenger run looks mean as fuck.

even as RJ said, the 370 is a superior ride.

I could give or take any of the pony cars, though I'd give the aesthetic edge to the Challenger if only because of the "mean as fuck" looks.

it's essentially a 2-door Charger (not that it's a bad thing) mechanically, but the looks are way more in line with what people want from a "beast machine".

12810291, Challenger is definitely a looker
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 12:26 PM
Based on looks alone I'd happily roll with that. But she's a heavy broad with weird sightlines, and all the Hemi in the world can't change that. But then, that's the difference in a 'muscle' car and a 'pony' car, which is really what the Mustang and the Camaro are.

Now between the Mustang and the Camaro, I've got to roll with the blue oval over the bow tie
12810314, and the Charger is essentially a Dodge-ified E-Class Benz
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 12:41 PM
>it's essentially a 2-door Charger (not that it's a bad thing)
>mechanically, but the looks are way more in line with what
>people want from a "beast machine".

I think a lot of folks don't realize how much input Daimler had when Chrysler designed the 300, Charger, and Magnum.

12810336, TONS of input on those...I remember when the Magnum dropped...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 12:48 PM
every third car in the lot at the plant I worked at was a Magnum.
12810443, it should be clear now that chrysler can't design a goddamn vehicle anymore
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-20-15 01:35 PM
jesus.

I'd love to get a Magnum, but the only ones you see are usually beat all to hell

12810455, lol..yep...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 01:40 PM
if you find a Magnum around here....it has a grillion miles on it or it's been modified to hell with big, shitty rims and such. The occasional gem is hella overpriced. I gave up on them. Wanted an SRT8 so bad before I got my G8, but couldn't find anyone not bullshitting on the price.
12810500, The popularity of the Magnum in some circles I found hilarious
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 02:11 PM
>if you find a Magnum around here....it has a grillion miles
>on it or it's been modified to hell with big, shitty rims and
>such. The occasional gem is hella overpriced. I gave up on
>them. Wanted an SRT8 so bad before I got my G8, but couldn't
>find anyone not bullshitting on the price.

but I realize that it filled a void that existed before the introduction of the Charger. Now its relative rarity has raised its stock.

what I thought was ill was in Europe they basically sold the Magnum but gave it the 300's sheet metal, making it a 300 wagon.

I see a LOT of G8s out where I live.
12810591, the magnum popularity is such a headscratcher
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed May-20-15 02:55 PM
i mean i've never driven one so the thing might drive like a dream. but that's one of the most confused looking cars i've ever seen.
12810601, I think they can. They just can't get the whole package right
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 02:58 PM
I mean, there's nothing wrong with the Dart or the new 200 (the old one was one of the saddest things to ride the earth, next to it's uglier cousin the Avenger). They just don't quite have the spit and polish down. Sort of like mid to late 2000's Hyundai/Kia. With Fiat behind them hopefully they'll have some stability and resources they haven't had in the last decade and change.

Until then they're riding on the goodwill of the 300 and Hellcat, which is wearing thin.

I'd like a Magnum, but it's celebrated hood status makes it too hot for me. That and I'd rather have the car on the road and not in the shop
12810633, I think the Magnum replaced the 90's Caprice/Impala for hood rides
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 03:16 PM
>I'd like a Magnum, but it's celebrated hood status makes it
>too hot for me. That and I'd rather have the car on the road
>and not in the shop

Before the Magnum, everybody wanted an Impala SS, even if it meant taking a Caprice and dressing it up to look like one.

12810642, YES!!!!!!!!! when I think back, I can't believe I used to cyse...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 03:22 PM
that Impala SS so much. It was grossly underpowered for a 2 ton car and didn't even look that good, lol.
12810753, On the low, I still want an Impala SS wagon
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 04:40 PM
The Magnum scratched that itsh

But truthfully, the Magnum/Charger/300 all became the de facto hood cars after the Impala/Grand Marquis/Crown Vic were discontinued
12810758, I had a potna who made his Impala wagon look like an SS...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 04:45 PM
it was essentially the same LT1 motor. Dude put big wheels on it and "SS" emblems...joint had the "wood" paneling sides, lol. So wack, but you couldn't tell him shit.
12810789, Truth be told, Police surplus Crown Vic's are still hood cars
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 05:31 PM
Phoenix got it BAD with that shit. Roll around Maryvale and South Phoenix and you see vatos and bruhs rollin ex-police cars left and right.

12810814, Not much different in DC/MD/VA
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 06:16 PM
The Crown Vic/Impala still run heavy with 'police pack' cruisers. I laugh every time a driver claims it has a 400hp police chip in it

The Charger/Magnum is like an upgrade from that
12810821, see them shits ALL DAY in NC too.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed May-20-15 06:25 PM
12809927, Anybody install their own tint?
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 08:50 AM
The tinker part of me wouldn't mind ordering a pre-cut tint kit and get my wife's car done. Since it's a hatch I could easily get to the rear glass. The other part of me wants to say screw that and just take it to a shop and let them do it. I know my car is going to a shop, as the rear glass on that looks to be a PITA to reach
12810328, lve always driven fish bowl but, im considering it this summer
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed May-20-15 12:46 PM
i think you should try, its essentially just a big sticker lol.just watch out for the air bubbles
12809973, Still not not better than the Mustang. Looks like they even tryied to copy
Posted by GrumpySmurf, Wed May-20-15 09:30 AM
it a little.
12810185, Just performed a car stereo transplant on the Volvo yesterday.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 11:22 AM
85%-90% done. It's "functional" now but there are some inconspicuous, mostly cosmetic issues that need to be addressed.

I'll probably Gram it up when it's all done. Still annoyed that the bloody steering wheel controls don't work, even with the proper box in place.

12810295, fuck car stereo installs...for real (enter your sig here)
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 12:30 PM
12810322, I was two seconds from doing a stereo in my old Volvo 850
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 12:44 PM
then it died.

I just saw a 96 850 Turbo for sale and it looks to be in pretty good condition. I told the missus after my last 850 tanked that I was getting another one eventually.

This one's gonna get my full-blown audio treatment.

12810414, Ah, those were the days...
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 01:24 PM
I remember having a Sony head unit with BBE processing, a pair of Polk MM (mobile monitor) components in the front door, Rockford Fosgate components in the rear deck and 2 10" subs in a ported box run off a 5 channel amp mounted to the rear of the seat. I think I cried real man tears when they broke in and stole it (and to this day I bet I know who was behind it, but can't move on them)
12810499, I've had two systems stolen
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 02:09 PM
One out of my old Nissan S12 (200SX) and one out of my old Escort.

The S12 system was the one where they did the most damage. Window broken, passenger door lock fucked up, fucked up the dash gettin' the radio out, ripped the tweeters off the door panels, took the amp off the back of the subs and they tried to get the subs out but couldn't.

12810587, Oh the pain
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 02:53 PM
Walking out to a broken quarter window and just seeing a mess of wires hanging out. Tweeters were gone, but the crossovers were left. Sub was gone, amp ripped out, head unit gone, CDs gone (some of which I still haven't replaced)...

Very little was worse than the drafty quiet ride home with your molested car to call the insurance company. I am so glad those GF/BMD days are behind me (at least those dealing with property damage, anyway)

I swear I bought MC Lyte's Eyes On This album 4 times between break ins.
12810819, assholes broke the window on my intrepid in front of my mom's house
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-20-15 06:23 PM
it was either some cats from down the street, or someone from the dealership

I had a nice lil system in there, just replaced the stock speakers and had a headunit w/ a slide out screen.

I took the car in to get work done, and I disabled the alarm bc the service guys always fucked it up when I took it in.

I think someone there was moving the car around, saw/heard the system and assumed I had no alarm (it was added on to the stock system)

so I take the car home, that same night about 3am, I'm in my room playing dreamcast and suddenly my alarm goes off. they run off (like they weren't expecting an alarm even though there's a big flashing red light, which is why I suspect the dealership)

and now I gotta replace the damn window and can't even cover it with insurance, PLUS I didn't have an excuse to buy a new system. I'd have been happier if they'd actually stolen the damn thing cuz I wanted a new one.

12810860, Nah, you wouldn't want it stolen. Ma dukes went through that
Posted by spenzalii, Wed May-20-15 07:34 PM
Some idiots stole my mom's Cirrus out the DRIVEWAY. Mind you, my parents have been in the same house since 1980. Everybody knows them, knows what they drive, what the dog looked like, etc. Somebody went in the driveway at 3 in the morning. Police found it in northeast DC about 2 weeks later. When they towed the car back to the house mom couldn't even go outside to look at it, much less get any remaining items out of it. She actually went out the front door for a few days just so she wouldn't have to look at it.

Insurance ended up totaling it. Whoever stole it must have drove it across more than a few curbs, because the suspension was wrecked. Either way, there was no way my mom was going to set foot in the car again
12810874, Bruh, my Escort was broken into in the driveway too
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 08:05 PM
In posh ass Sterling Heights of all places.

I went outside to go to work, went to the rear passenger door to throw my briefcase and backpack in there and my damned window was blown out. Checked the dash and my Pioneer head unit was gone.

I got lucky though: They caught the dudes that did it. They had hit something like 20 cars in the neighborhood and got caught red handed inside a car with several radios. Mine was one of them and they proved it was mine 'cause I had a copy of my demo CD in the deck with my name and phone number on it.

I went to EVERY court date for them cats. Two white boys, they went down for 2-5 years or something like that.

12814101, oh I just meant the stereo, not the car
Posted by Rjcc, Tue May-26-15 01:12 AM
although even if it had been the stereo it probably would've been a bitch anyway, with the cracked plastic and wiring and shit

12810230, which generation is your Classic, btw?
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-20-15 11:43 AM
12810792, RE: Talking Cars On Tuesday: The garage is open for whatever
Posted by double 0, Wed May-20-15 05:38 PM
Can't decide on a (96-99) SL500 or a 635CSI..

Both classic silhouettes but the SL 500 is more commonplace here (LA). 635 has also been a bit harder to find.

Either way pull up game will be mean this summer
12810799, not even a thought for me....635 all the way
Posted by Dstl1, Wed May-20-15 05:54 PM
12810837, RE: not even a thought for me....635 all the way
Posted by double 0, Wed May-20-15 07:00 PM
That's kinda where I am at with it too. And considering they are rarer (at least here)...

Might be the move..
12810854, I say get the SL500
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Wed May-20-15 07:29 PM
Mainly 'cause I've been looking at that exact model myself (R129), but you want to get one from '99 through 2001 'cause the engine was updated and it's more powerful.

The 635CSi is rare but IMO not really worth the trouble to find considering their performance.