Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBlack Man Vs. White Man Carrying AR-15 Legally
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12806972
12806972, Black Man Vs. White Man Carrying AR-15 Legally
Posted by double negative, Sat May-16-15 12:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGZnB41_e4&feature=youtu.be

some poster a while ago said something like (paraphrasing, was it Bin?) "what would happen if a black man walked around with a rifle the way white guys do?"
well, here you go.

12806986, the only surprise is that the brotha didn't get shot...
Posted by BigJazz, Sat May-16-15 01:15 PM

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...
12806988, ^^^ I logged in to say this
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Sat May-16-15 01:22 PM
That was definitely a dangerous situation for bruh to be in. We all pretty much knew how this was going to turn out though.

12807054, I'm not Black folks with weapons ready to use
Posted by Musa, Sat May-16-15 04:28 PM
them have historical been better at surviving.
12807077, yeah that was RISKY
Posted by Amritsar, Sat May-16-15 05:18 PM
12807117, you didnt see how light he was?
Posted by Binladen, Sat May-16-15 06:58 PM
12807057, of course they brought a dog jesus
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat May-16-15 04:42 PM
i cant
12807059, Why did she stop recording?
Posted by Case_One, Sat May-16-15 04:44 PM
"Jesus is my Lord and Savior. And if you believe in him can be your's too."
12807083, Why do you need to carry an AR-15?
Posted by Kira, Sat May-16-15 05:24 PM
The police are there for a reason so why does the average citizen need to carry an AR-15?

12807086, to "excercise" their rights
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat May-16-15 05:29 PM
and im going to assume the 2nd part of your statement was sarcasm
12807100, Maybe this isn't your reality but to many people who own AR's...
Posted by Big Kuntry, Sat May-16-15 06:15 PM
They have them for
hunting (where legal)
Competitive & recreational shooting
Home security
Some people collecting semi's and autos as a financial investment, while some collect them from a historic standpoint.

There are very few things in the world anyone REALLY needs
12807102, are police really there to protect you and stop crime though?
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat May-16-15 06:28 PM
they seem more like the people responsible for investigating and solving crimes.

i dont see how carrying an ar around somehow overlaps with police responsibility
12807108, im not a proponent of police in any form or fashion so I can't
Posted by Big Kuntry, Sat May-16-15 06:41 PM
Answer that question unbiasedly.

To me this video was more of a testament to open carry harassment than race but the difference between how the officers approached the two men could be what their focusing on. I applaud them for attempting to bring some discussion on this issue.

>they seem more like the people responsible for investigating
>and solving crimes.
>
>
>i dont see how carrying an ar around somehow overlaps with
>police responsibility
12807225, police and policing in the U.S. grew out of the need to protect property
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun May-17-15 09:05 AM
Black slave property and plantations in the south ( i.e. slave patrols ) and factories along with the uninterrupted working of factory labor in the north ( e.g. union busters).

Who is in government or holds influence over it? The factory and plantation owners-- so there's the link to who the police actually work for.
12807229, Can you give more background on this please?
Posted by helenahandbasket, Sun May-17-15 09:16 AM
>Black slave property and plantations in the south ( i.e.
>slave patrols ) and factories along with the uninterrupted
>working of factory labor in the north ( e.g. union busters).

I think you need to give more background to your post because it is slightly misleading. It has truth to it, but still, slightly misleading.
12807095, this has more to-do with familiarity than race
Posted by godleeluv, Sat May-16-15 05:51 PM
If I saw anyone walking down the street with a rifle I'd be scared.

But I'm not the police.

12807097, Familiarity with what tho?
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat May-16-15 05:58 PM
12807112, and we're off!
Posted by double negative, Sat May-16-15 06:47 PM
12807115, Didn't seem too scared of the first guy...IJS
Posted by Selassie I God, Sat May-16-15 06:49 PM
12807116, there was definitely something...familiar...about the first guy
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat May-16-15 06:57 PM
12807393, they recognized one as a human with rights and a will.
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Sun May-17-15 07:22 PM
12807125, Though it seems like two different police departments here
Posted by Selassie I God, Sat May-16-15 07:16 PM
In two "open carry" jurisdictions, this does show the difference is attitudes between White males and non-white males carrying firearms.

White guy approached: "Excuse me sir, may I see some ID?"

Non white guy approached: "Down on the street NOW!!" with his pistol drawn. Call in numerous officers to assist. Call in K-9 unit.

Though not a perfect apples to apples comparison, the point is made...police are threatened by non-whites that are armed, even in places where they are legally allowed to be armed.

Where in america could a group of brothers get away the antics of Cliven Bundy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD61YFxUga4

Had this been armed black people, rolling up on federal agents, there would have been a horse stampede and a string of dead people in their wake.
12807132, Hell, I thought the secret service was gonna roll in too. Cotdamn
Posted by Lach, Sat May-16-15 08:12 PM
12807133, It's the same way here in Georgia
Posted by Lach, Sat May-16-15 08:13 PM
White dudes walk all around with theirs but the minute I show mine, I get crazy looks. But 90% of the time I keep mine concealed to avoid the unwanted drama. Sad but true.
12807204, Anyone recall this bullshit ? White boy strollin with shotgun
Posted by neuro_OSX, Sun May-17-15 06:17 AM
Cop asks to see the white boys I.D. and he says no..shiiiiiate.

http://kdvr.com/2014/08/01/aurora-teen-walks-on-busy-streets-with-shotgun-videotapes-encounters-with-police/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Gx73R3p1U
12807232, This is real shit, but the point is easily dismissed
Posted by John Forte, Sun May-17-15 09:21 AM
Because the videos feature different police departments.
12807236, Oregon (white) vs Nevada (black)
Posted by helenahandbasket, Sun May-17-15 09:33 AM
Also differently levels of "open carry" knowledge amongst the officers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cvipwCcm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ7xQK8ryFw

This is all over the place.
12807234, OkLegal, help me out here: showing ID
Posted by John Forte, Sun May-17-15 09:24 AM
I understand that cops can't just make you show ID for walking down the street, but can't they make you prove you're authorized to have a firearm? They can make you prove you have a license if they stop you while driving. I don't see why firearms should be different from automobiles.
12807307, its different from state to state
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun May-17-15 02:17 PM
but it has nothing to do with guns in particular

some states have "stop and id" type laws basically requiring you to show id if a cop asks.

but since there is no "license" to open carry(concealed is different) there is really no reason to need to check someones identification if they are open carrying (without probable cause)

this all revolves around how much you want to annoy/piss off the police of course when they ask for your ID =)
12807453, Consitutional "right" versus "privilege"
Posted by dotcomse, Sun May-17-15 10:44 PM
To obtain a license to operate your car on government roads, you have to sign paperwork that says you'll show your license when asked. Note that you don't need a license to drive a car on private property, cause that's not really any of the government's damn business. But obviously that's only meaningful if you own a big-ass piece of land.

Whereas, an American citizen's Second Amendment rights are guaranteed by the Constitution - although abridged for felons, I guess... So you don't need to show paperwork, because without evidence of a crime, carrying a gun isn't any less legal than walking down the street.
12807534, It's a right, but you still need a license to exercise it
Posted by John Forte, Mon May-18-15 07:10 AM
I have the right to vote, but I can't roll up in the polling place to cast a vote without being registered.
12807943, Not for rifles you don't.
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon May-18-15 12:20 PM
You don't need a license to purchase or own a rifle in the majority of this country or even register the rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.
12809244, I don't even think you need one for handguns in most places
Posted by dotcomse, Tue May-19-15 01:32 PM
Although handgun possession is illegal in NYC, DC, & I think Chicago, and carrying is defacto outlawed in LA, you can still buy a handgun without a license, or a background check, at a gunshow in most places. There can, to my knowledge, be no record any place that a person legally acquired a handgun. The NRA and 2nd amendment rights fight hard against firearm registration, because they're concerned that such a database would enable the government to seize all guns, and enact the tyranny that the 2nd amendment was written to prevent. But, Uncle Sam's got tanks and Predators, I ain't gonna go Rambo with my 9mm, fam.
12809310, really? then why in the fuck is it a deal to need one to vote?
Posted by double negative, Tue May-19-15 02:00 PM
12809323, Because of money, probably
Posted by dotcomse, Tue May-19-15 02:06 PM
The National Rifle Association can crow all they want about protecting the rights of gun-owners, but what it's really about is selling guns. There's money in that, so the NRA, funded by gun manufacturers, can afford to lobby Washington to keep it easy for cash to flow in exchange for guns.

The people disenfranchised by voting registration, and moreso by proposed Voter ID laws, are not politically powerful, and by and large are a drain on the system. You can bet that the rich folk who want to pay less in taxes and want to cut the social safety net out from under the poor have NO problems registering to vote, and they want the people held up by that net to lose their right to vote so that senators and presidents can come in and gut entitlement programs.
12809325, To prevent people from voting multiple times and in diff precincts
Posted by John Forte, Tue May-19-15 02:07 PM
12809343, to prevent voter fraud lol
Posted by MiracleRic, Tue May-19-15 02:15 PM
12809261, WOW. Did not know that. I've lived mostly in permit/registration states
Posted by John Forte, Tue May-19-15 01:38 PM
12809329, Read up on the Gunshow Loophole
Posted by dotcomse, Tue May-19-15 02:08 PM
You DO need a permit, I think everywhere, to concealed-carry. If you don't have that license, then the gun has to be plainly visible to anybody who can see you. Some areas either do not issue these licenses, or enforce rules that are written in such a way that it is up to the Sheriff's discretion (i.e., $$$ or VIP connections). California used to be this way, but was recently changed to what is known as a "shall-issue" state, which means that anybody who wants a license to concealed carry their gun must be given one, provided they pass the requirements (i.e., intensified background check, weapon safety course, $$$).

Also, so-called "open carry" can be illegal in some areas, which would mean that you would need that concealed weapon license in order to have your gun on you, or even in the car with you (accessible by the occupants of the car). But states cannot simultaneously make it illegal to open carry AND difficult to acquire a concealed weapon license - the Supreme Court ruled that this was a defacto violation of the right to bear arms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Gun show loophole is a U.S. political term referring to the sales of firearms to private buyers by private sellers at gun shows. This kind of sale doesn't require or allow the seller to perform a background check on the buyer, and doesn't require the seller to record the sale. The loophole refers to a perceived gap in the law with regard to sales or transfers of firearms between private citizens. The term may also be referred to as the Brady bill loophole, the Brady law loophole, the gun law loophole, and the private sale loophole.

Seven gun show loophole bills were introduced in the U.S. House and four in the Senate between 2001 and 2013, but none were passed. As of January 2015, 33 states do not restrict private sales of used firearms between private individuals, whether at gun shows or elsewhere. However, the U.S. capital and the other 17 states do require background checks for some or all private firearm sales.
12809331, I knew about the gunshow loophole
Posted by John Forte, Tue May-19-15 02:09 PM
but that pertains to sales. I thought owners still had to register after purchasing.