Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwho said we're leaving race out of their lives all together?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12794521&mesg_id=12794806
12794806, who said we're leaving race out of their lives all together?
Posted by J_Sun, Thu Apr-30-15 02:03 PM
They are 5 and 4. Of course they see that people have different skin tones, but the whole concept of race and the racism that goes hand in hand with that are foreign to them at this point. And that's part of the innocence of childhood. We don't want to take that innocence away from them any sooner than we have to.

Best believe that appropriate conversations will be had at the appropriate times. We don't subscribe to the post-racial BS. We will make sure that they understand that even though they are bi-racial, that a lot of the world is only going to see them as black and if someone is racist, it's not like they are going to only halfway hate them. All of that will be taught at the appropriate time.

>radical, as in, you two are a part of something that's not
>wholly accepted.
>
>do they know their parents are revolutionary?

No, because there is nothing revolutionary about two people that fell in love and made a family. Looking at our marriage as something special is kinda wrong IMO. Any two people that fall in love and get married should be viewed as the same. Yes, I recognize historically that's not the case and even my own marriage was at one time illegal in some places in this country. That will be taught at an appropriate time as well.

>waiting for something to happen before they understand race?
>... think something just happened.

They don't know anything about what's going on in Baltimore. Should they know about it? That's debateable. Again, we try to shield them from the ills of the world where we can. I can't say when we'll start exposing them to these things, but it will come in time. I will say that on issues of race and racism, I will defer to my wife's judgment for the most part about when those will be discussed.

>where'd you develop your intense compassion for blacks?

this feels a bit loaded, but I'll play.... it really started with hip hop. I was fan of the music, but listening to groups like Public Enemy, I didn't understand a lot of what they were talking about. That really drove me to try to understand the culture that the music was coming from. That pro-black era of hip hop was the catalyst. Also, calling it "intense compassion for blacks" feels like white guilt to me and that's not how I feel. I call it recognizing what's really going on in the world. Recognizing institutional racism and white privilege. I don't have guilt, I have anger cuz so much is still not right. And none of that has anything to do with what color my wife is. I'd feel the same way if I had married a white woman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common