Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthe mayor walked it back, btw.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12793240&mesg_id=12793751
12793751, the mayor walked it back, btw.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Apr-29-15 11:54 AM
http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/baltimore-mayor-apologizes-to-rioters-for-using-t-word/

As Baltimore burns, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is turning the flip-flop into a high art form, to the point where she is now apologizing to the rioters for calling them “thugs.”

She stated early Monday that police were instructed to allow “those who wished to destroy space to do that.” By Monday evening, facing heavy criticism from residents and business owners, she walked back from those comments.

As the city was in flames Monday night, Rawlings-Blake spoke freely on CNN about “thugs” and “criminals” who were destroying what so many had worked so hard to build, even as Marxist professor Marc Lamont Hill said the rioters were just expressing “righteous rage” and should not be called thugs. Hill added that the situation in Baltimore was “not a riot” but “uprisings” in response to blacks “dying in the streets for months, years, decades, centuries.”

By Tuesday, the mayor again walked back from her previous comments.

“I wanted to say something that was on my heart … We don’t have thugs in Baltimore. Sometimes my little anger interpreter gets the best of me,” she said, pointing to her head. “We have a lot of kids that are acting out, a lot of people in our community that are acting out.”

The president of the Baltimore City Council, Jack Young, also apologized to rioters Tuesday for calling them “thugs.”

Standing side-by-side with avowed gang members at a press conference Tuesday, he called the rioter “misdirected” youths. He also retracted claims that gang members were targeting police.

“We are all Baltimoreans,” Young said.

Rawlings three days earlier, before the worst violence broke out, thanked the Nation of Islam for its efforts to help “keep calm and peace in our city.”