Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthink I own 4 or 5 flasks but can't remember the last time I carried one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12790596&mesg_id=12790752
12790752, think I own 4 or 5 flasks but can't remember the last time I carried one
Posted by Bombastic, Sun Apr-26-15 08:12 PM
Not even sure if I could locate a single one if I tried to look for a half hour right now though I can't recall throwing any one of them out.

Nowadays any contraband I carry on me is likely gonna be something I'm good with tossing out once its carrying case is empty.

Altho come to think about it, I have walked to the beach with a hot-or-cold/screw-top-lid/sip-n-flip-functionality container which most would chalk up to a coffee cup but mighta held a cocktail.

But I know I've gotten at least two flasks with my name engraved on them for being in a wedding party, I think a third wedding skipped the engravement but came with a leather case over it to make it extra fancy.

Had an old acquaintance I'd known since kindergarten happen to be the first to show up at a going-away BBQ my parents had for me at my childhood home in South Jersey before my move to L.A. 11 years ago.

Hadn't seen dude in ages, one of those cats you're kinda cool with but who had the sorta dark side you'd hear about but were lucky enough to never fully encounter via a balance of healthy distance/mutual respect.

Wouldn't have even had his number to call or tell him to come nor was this in the social-media era so not sure how he even knew to show up.

I see him strolling up the street from the back porch, go out to greet him in the street first to spare my folks the trouble of having to guess which of my friends he is at their doorstep.

Walk up, meet each other halfway, do the pound/handshake-into-one-armed/half-assed-hug/back-pat thing.

Dude slides me a flask from his jacket which I initially think is him offering me a hit especially since it's already filled but soon come to realize it's intended as a gift.

Recovering with enough time to not make it too awkward, look him in the eye and thank him with the highest degree of sincerity I can muster under the circumstances.

Without missing a beat, in the kind of deadpan/dead-eyed tone the detective with a bad habit might, he looks right back at me and just says 'it's a long flight'.

I smile like he was joking while at the same time realizing he's completely serious and also smelling like he mighta helped himself to a head start on my departing gift's contents.

Haven't seen dude since that day but ain't heard what you could could objectively call a good story about him since.

Wherever you at tho, good lookin out anyway and best of luck to you, brethren.

Whatever gets you through the night.....or the flight......it's alright, it's alright.