Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNYT article on Success charte schools
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12787069
12787069, NYT article on Success charte schools
Posted by astralblak, Tue Apr-21-15 11:35 PM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/nyregion/at-success-academy-charter-schools-polarizing-methods-and-superior-results.html?referrer=

Lots to consider here. Would love to hear educators and parents thoughts

I def have my ideas/biases, but will save if the convo gets rollin
12787074, RE: NYT article on Success charte schools
Posted by rzaroch36, Tue Apr-21-15 11:52 PM
>http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/nyregion/at-success-academy-charter-schools-polarizing-methods-and-superior-results.html?referrer=
>
>Lots to consider here. Would love to hear educators and
>parents thoughts
>
>I def have my ideas/biases, but will save if the convo gets
>rollin

Sounds like a terrible place to work. Feel bad for those kids
12787174, Damn. Interesting read
Posted by 13Rose, Wed Apr-22-15 09:13 AM
I appreciate kids achieving more but it's a sad state of affairs when our children's future is decided by a lottery.
12787229, do you agree with the methods that achieve that success?
Posted by astralblak, Wed Apr-22-15 09:40 AM
12787383, RE: do you agree with the methods that achieve that success?
Posted by 13Rose, Wed Apr-22-15 10:34 AM
Some I'm ok with others not so much. I think as long as you make it clear what those methods are in the beginning it's fine. Parents can always take there child somewhere else. It's not mandatory that they go there.
12787230, are they achieving or are they just testing better?
Posted by John Forte, Wed Apr-22-15 09:41 AM
12787390, RE: are they achieving or are they just testing better?
Posted by 13Rose, Wed Apr-22-15 10:37 AM
Probably more testing than achieving which I hate. I don't think teaching to the test helps in the long run but what do I know.
12787209, too much to say
Posted by samsara, Wed Apr-22-15 09:30 AM
and none of it unfortunately relates to children's education

i don't consider SA education
it falls more under hedge fund ed reformer plans to create a certain class of workers from certain communities in this economy

the unfortunate part is the choice parents are making is between that (year-round test prep in a clean environment with new things and uniforms) and often something worse (public schools who often don't have or advocate for the services to educate the entire population of the schools and who can't just kick students out)

what happened with charter schools in NYC is just so unfortunate in general

this affects my neighborhood greatly
i could write for days about this

12787231, while not as extreme couldn't we say this is the culture of most Charters
Posted by astralblak, Wed Apr-22-15 09:41 AM
Or at least the aims
12787276, the hedge fund charters yes - but there are multiple movements
Posted by samsara, Wed Apr-22-15 09:57 AM
there is the charter movement for creating new schools as experimental labs for teaching methodologies, new types of schools where you have a little more freedom to get something off the ground without the traditional restrictions on teachers from the union. i imagine the progressive ed movement would've probably ended up charter if those movements had coincided.

and that type of school seems to be an ok fit for urban areas that have been losing their core base with flight from the city, where schools are emptying out and closing (not being forced to close, or not where there's no room anyway). i've seen this happen - something like a bilingual school that then brings an ethnic, racial, economic diverse group of people back to the city. something a traditional public school could never do because people don't live in integrated areas.

nyc is surely not that place though.

my neighborhood has individual charter schools (alongside the big ones like SA), not a part of a huge network, e.g. schools like latino led/administrated charters, etc. those schools may have some hedge fund folks but in general they aren't under the same pressure to justify what they are doing (or their CEO's huge salary lol) by test score metrics.
12787290, I'm generally anti-charter, yet
Posted by John Forte, Wed Apr-22-15 10:04 AM
I find myself considering a local charter school for this very reason.

>there is the charter movement for creating new schools as
>experimental labs for teaching methodologies

I actually like my daughter's zoned school, but I find this place pretty intriguing

http://ecspgh.org/
12787384, I'm trying not to take a general anti-charter position anymore
Posted by samsara, Wed Apr-22-15 10:34 AM
it's so divisive to communities in nyc, especially in co-located spaces where you have the same community in one building literally pitted against each other for space.

esp. when parents should all be advocating for financial literacy, civic education, developing critical thinking skills, arts/music education, etc. etc. etc.

post-katrina was the hedge fund ed reformers dream so they sure aren't going anywhere anytime soon now.

in hindsight i think it was the wrong political decision for the teachers' union to vehemently oppose charters rather than try to shape the discourse and advocate for heavier restrictions on the parameters of what charters can and cannot do.

but politics...

12787516, the teachers union
Posted by astralblak, Wed Apr-22-15 11:53 AM
12787234, OMG, I never considered this
Posted by John Forte, Wed Apr-22-15 09:42 AM

>i don't consider SA education
>it falls more under hedge fund ed reformer plans to create a
>certain class of workers from certain communities in this
>economy

Holy shit, that's dark...and entirely plausible.
12787269, yeah that is well stated
Posted by ToeJam, Wed Apr-22-15 09:56 AM
It articulates exactly what didn't sit right with me at so many schools during my Teach for America experience.

>
>>i don't consider SA education
>>it falls more under hedge fund ed reformer plans to create a
>>certain class of workers from certain communities in this
>>economy
>
>Holy shit, that's dark...and entirely plausible.
12787513, this has been the surge nationally in all levels of ed
Posted by astralblak, Wed Apr-22-15 11:53 AM
even at the collegiate level as liberal arts programs are underfunded and scavenger for resources

neoliberal markets y'all
12788011, All their teachers are extremely HOT!
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Wed Apr-22-15 06:34 PM
It's crazy how they pressure the kids to the point that they're wetting their pants.
12788104, there was an ep on 60 mins bout the Turkish schools few weeks ago
Posted by poboytroy, Wed Apr-22-15 09:53 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-charter-schools-tied-to-powerful-turkish-imam/

most of the charters in houston are run by The Turks