Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWho's wearing light blue? Autism Awareness Day 4/2
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12770129
12770129, Who's wearing light blue? Autism Awareness Day 4/2
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 08:29 AM
https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/world-autism-awareness-day

Discuss and educate OKP about autism in this post.

Link resources & research

12770144, Thanks. My wife teaches autistic children
Posted by Mgmt, Thu Apr-02-15 08:42 AM
>https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/world-autism-awareness-day
>
>Discuss and educate OKP about autism in this post.
>
>Link resources & research
>
>
12770151, My 6 year old son is on the spectrum. Feel free to ask any questions...
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Apr-02-15 08:45 AM
It's definitely been a challenge, but parenting him is without a doubt the most rewarding thing that I've done in my life.
12770181, There are a lot of theories floating around regarding what seems
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:01 AM
like an upsurge of cases

The diagnosis and research of autism is relatively new, so obviously there is that.

But people have theories on everything from childhood vaccinations to birth control being a cause. Unfortunately I don't think there is any scientific support for any of those. Have you found any good research into causes?
12770190, I'm of the belief that incidence of autism is not on the rise
Posted by John Forte, Thu Apr-02-15 09:06 AM
Diagnosis is. Looking back on my own childhood, I can think of a lot of kids who were on probably on the spectrum. Shit, *I* might have mild Aspergers.
12770223, Right.
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:19 AM
>Diagnosis is. Looking back on my own childhood, I can think
>of a lot of kids who were on probably on the spectrum.

> Shit,
>*I* might have mild Aspergers.

I've definitely gone through my non-communicative phases in life, mostly self-imposed
12770224, There are tons of research studies, but nothing completely conclusive.
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Apr-02-15 09:20 AM
It is known that there is a mix of genetic and environmental factors that cause Autism. There are many studies on specific environmental factors that have been found to increase the probability, but it isn't simple at all because the overwhelming majority of kids exposed to those factors won't end up with Autism.

I definitely believe that the increasing numbers on Autism are just because we are getting much better with diagnosis. The spectrum is HUGE - kids aren't going to have the same traits or the same issues or strengths when they are on the spectrum. But our education system has gotten much better with identifying several "red flags", and the early intervention programs are much better than they used to be.
12770274, Yeah... my girl's best friend's husband has a brother that is autistic
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:39 AM
and their son is also autistic, so it is very easy to speculate that genetics had something to do with that.

They were very hesitant to have him diagnosed and the father was somewhat in denial I believe, but he was pretty clearly autistic before they got the official diagnosis that he was on the spectrum.

12770320, This is one of the biggest reasons that awareness is important...
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Apr-02-15 10:03 AM
>They were very hesitant to have him diagnosed and the father
>was somewhat in denial I believe,

Early intervention is EXTREMELY important in terms of the development of kids on the spectrum later in life. My son had red flags pointed out right around 15 months, and started therapy at 18 months which was well before his official diagnosis at 3 (in which they do THOROUGH testing of behavior, social skills, speech, and a brain scan.) Because of all of that early intervention, and the quality of speech therapy, occupational therapy and behavioral assistance, he's at the point now in which even new teachers and therapists that he has are surprised when told that he is on the spectrum. He is VERY verbal and social, excels in school academically, and really doesn't display the stereotypical traits of Autism that you would normally think of.

All that being said, it's still clear that he is on the spectrum - his biggest struggles are with sensory overload and self regulation. Also he doesn't understand the nuances of certain social situations that he encounters, which is tough because he is so outgoing and social.

The problem is that so many parents are in denial when red flags are pointed out, and they don't follow through on getting a diagnosis or recommended early intervention. So they don't really find out that their child is on the spectrum until first grade when that teacher is blunt with them. At that point therapy can still help, but by then their kids are way behind the curve. For my son he was really ahead of his peers academically in kindergarten and much of first grade because while school was new for most of them, he had been in classrooms since he was 18 months old. And is was important for him to be used to that routine because we knew he would struggle in other areas, and have to be pulled out of some of the academic curriculum for his speech and occupational therapy.

We really gotta work on awareness and getting rid of the stigma that is there so that when parents hear about "red flags" they don't run away from the situation.
12770338, Very good to know, and this info is what I was hoping for
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 10:20 AM
I think they could have definitely improved their son's chances of getting ahead of his condition had they not just carefully ignored the child's noticeable lack of communication at a young age.

When we went out to visit, it was to the point where he was playing video games (placed inches away from his face) for hours at a time. When the ipad was removed, he would begin acting out until it was placed in front of him again. He didn't speak to his parents or us at all. STILL it wasn't until after we left that they had him diagnosed officially.

>The problem is that so many parents are in denial when red
>flags are pointed out, and they don't follow through on
>getting a diagnosis or recommended early intervention. So they
>don't really find out that their child is on the spectrum
>until first grade when that teacher is blunt with them. At
>that point therapy can still help, but by then their kids are
>way behind the curve. For my son he was really ahead of his
>peers academically in kindergarten and much of first grade
>because while school was new for most of them, he had been in
>classrooms since he was 18 months old. And is was important
>for him to be used to that routine because we knew he would
>struggle in other areas, and have to be pulled out of some of
>the academic curriculum for his speech and occupational
>therapy.

Thank you for putting this information forward.
>
>We really gotta work on awareness and getting rid of the
>stigma that is there so that when parents hear about "red
>flags" they don't run away from the situation.
12770500, my son is 13 and this part applies to him as well almost verbatim...
Posted by mikediggz, Thu Apr-02-15 12:19 PM
>He is VERY verbal and social, excels in school academically, and
>really doesn't display the stereotypical traits of Autism that
>you would normally think of.

>All that being said, it's still clear that he is on the
>spectrum - his biggest struggles are with sensory overload and
>self regulation. Also he doesn't understand the nuances of
>certain social situations that he encounters, which is tough
>because he is so outgoing and social.

12770550, 13...man I'm scared for my son as he gets older to around that age...
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Apr-02-15 12:37 PM
With sensory overload, self regulation, and breaks in his routine being issues I'm seriously frightened of how an encounter with the police would go. He likely wouldn't follow their instructions exactly the way they wanted to, and if they yelled at him or touched him at all, I can see a meltdown happening, and I don't even want to think about how they would handle that situation.
12770228, I live in a Blood neighborhood so...
Posted by Mongo, Thu Apr-02-15 09:22 AM
12770237, Just claim Ñeta
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:26 AM
As long as you are holding your burly Dominican neighbor Evlis' hand they should leave you alone

"Oh it's cool. It's not so much a rival gang as an alternative lifestyle choice and shit. let that boy cook."
12770259, shit they're still around? I haven't seen anyone claim since the late 90s/00s
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Thu Apr-02-15 09:33 AM
12770266, shit... when's the last time you even seen a Latin King?
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:37 AM
Actually maybe in queens that shit is still poppin lol

But when I was in bookings in Queens besides the bloods it was all new gangs like ABK etc.
12770277, yeah the ALKQ Nation is still outchea lol
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Thu Apr-02-15 09:42 AM
and a lot of these new gangs are really just sets that want to believe they're their own gang until they get g-checked by another set with real OGs. I know as far as Bloods go the main divide is between Westside (sets that originated in Cali) versus Eastside (sets that originated here in NYC).
12770282, This conversation turned uncomfortably intimate quickly.
Posted by Mongo, Thu Apr-02-15 09:44 AM
I knew guys claiming Ñetas when they got out of prison.

:,(
12770290, If I ever get locked up I hope it's in the Feds
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:49 AM
So I can do my time in Oklahoma and join a peaceful Native American gang called the Dreamcatchers or something
12770319, nah you prolly gonna get the Khmer or Vietnamese
Posted by BabySoulRebel, Thu Apr-02-15 10:02 AM
and you gonna wish you did your time back east :(
12770339, I can pass for a (not so) Tiny Raskal
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 10:21 AM
12770403, if you fools don't quit playin'
Posted by astralblak, Thu Apr-02-15 11:12 AM
lol
12770286, I just happen to be. But, at that Nets/Pacers game Tuesday
Posted by Cam, Thu Apr-02-15 09:47 AM
For Autism awareness, they had a little Autistic girl sing the National Anthem. She was amazing, her rendition was the best I've heard from a child--I nearly shed a tear.

(she was wearing some special goggles to keep her calm)
12770298, Ah nah man I woulda cried if I saw that. Was supposed to be there
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 09:51 AM
for that game too, but traded my tix with the dude I split a half season with. Caught the game on TV though. Didn't know D Will's son was autistic.

Looked like an awesome game to be at, with plenty of momentum shifts.

Looks like the Nets may finally get some wins at home to close out the season and maybe clinch the 8th seed
12770336, Brooke did his thing, and Joe Johnson couldn't miss.
Posted by Cam, Thu Apr-02-15 10:16 AM
That 8th seed possibility is kind of amazing too.
12770436, Wow that's a brave kid
Posted by Amritsar, Thu Apr-02-15 11:40 AM
Seems like an NBA arena would be waaaay too much stimuli for someone with ASD
12770572, OH SHIT, I AM! and i didn't even know. haha
Posted by KiloMcG, Thu Apr-02-15 12:42 PM
oh well, i'm glad to support even though i didn't know i was.
12770579, salute brother lol
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-02-15 12:44 PM
My girl reminded me to wear baby blue today and I did

Basically so I could come to work and shame my coworkers for not knowing