Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectUmmmm....it's so much but you won't experience it all.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12768313&mesg_id=12768667
12768667, Ummmm....it's so much but you won't experience it all.
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Mar-31-15 08:06 PM
Some things are common sense, such as being courteous to neighbors.

Some things are just...eh, you'll learn as you go.

Here's random things I learned throughout the years...

-Every type of grass is different, every type of tree is different. My palm trees in the front don't require any water, but the one I had in the backyard did, and....R.I.P. to the one I had in the backyard :(

-You need permits for URRRRRRRthing. You might spend some thousands paving concrete over dirt, just because you hate having to walk dirt in...then, if someone hates and reports you, or even when you try to sell it, they may say "oh wait, you never had a permit. And nope, it's too late to buy one now, you gotta remove it!" My parents re-did the kitchen, and construction was delayed for a month and a half because they needed so many permits. Maybe it's just in L.A. though.

-Make sure inspectors catch EVERYTHING before you move in. My roof had some visible wear, but was solid, and inspector said it was approved. Yet, I move in after purchase clears, and my insurance says they can't cover me until I get it completely fixed and patched up. Thing is, I actually ended up having to buy a whole new got damn roof, and having it ALL replaced...but insurance didn't even know. So I got a random call one day saying "oh yeah, we aren't covering your house because of the roof" and I said "dude it's FIXED!" I made the guy drive to see it that day, and he said "oh...you're right. Ok, you're covered."

-Try your best to not become a victim of compulsive upgrade syndrome. For me, I realized that I still had some money left over after buying the house...like a good amount, so I KEPT spending it and buying piece after piece after piece for maybe a year and a half. You realize that there's literally ALLLLLLLLLLWAYS, always always always always always something you can buy. So just realize that you don't need to have it all right away.

I'm talking about art...painting the back of the garage that people only see if you have a BBQ...a couch for that second guest room....matching towels for the bathroom...a better sound system....an even better sound system....damn I just bought a 55 inch but the 65 inch is on sale, so let me get that....these blinds are ok, but shutters will look and work better for the sun....I'm tired of waking up to water grass, let me install an automatic sprinkler system...this wine rack is nice, but let me buy some better wines to go in it.....etc etc etc etc. try your best to not get caught up with that. It's not even about keeping up with the Joneses, but just feeling like there's always something that can be improved.