Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt really blew my mind when I started my job in Manhattan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12766338&mesg_id=12767515
12767515, It really blew my mind when I started my job in Manhattan
Posted by Goldmind, Tue Mar-31-15 01:03 AM
There are a lot of young white people at my job -- 24 to early 30s -- whose salaries are similar to mine. Yet where we lay our heads at night couldn't be more different. LOL

If they aren't walking to work from their homes in Midtown, they take quick subway rides from neighborhoods like Nolita, the West Village, and LES (oh yeah, and Williamsburg and Greenpoint) -- where, at 27 years old, they live alone.

It's just really weird to work, do happy hour, and even party with people who, despite earning the same as me (or even less), live in some of the most exclusive neighborhoods in the city. It would be one thing if it were just a few of them -- but when it's the majority, and they're my age or younger, it feels surreal.

I don't resent any of them for having wealth that far surpasses their accomplishments. I mean, coming from a middle class family, I too enjoy privileges that I didn't earn. But it does bother me that the circle of people handed trust funds and cushy jobs -- the class that gets to occupy the most comfortable corners of the world, not because of their income but because they were born -- is so gotdamn, everlastingly white.