Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFormer American...are you too?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12765999
12765999, Former American...are you too?
Posted by jd215, Sun Mar-29-15 10:28 PM
What to say? I wouldn't say it to insult anybody. I know nationalaties are important...maybe less to black folk. America is a fucked up place and the reigning culture is annoying as fuck. I don't live there anymore, and haven't for some yearsm but I'm back visiting now. I find the whole place bizarre, ...mostly white people, but the whole thing. The vibe is very colonial. I'd like to see something more Nat Turner.

No offense. I just wanted to let out out some frustration, thanks.
12766000, RE: Former American...are you too?
Posted by jd215, Sun Mar-29-15 10:31 PM
*maybe ***American *nationality is less important to black folk...i meant to say
12766012, curious: did you renounce your nationality?
Posted by akon, Sun Mar-29-15 10:49 PM
and where do you live now.

i'd say having that american passport and the ability to travel and live pretty much anywhere
is pretty damn important- even for black folk.
12766015, RE: curious: did you renounce your nationality?
Posted by jd215, Sun Mar-29-15 10:55 PM
Good question--I have. It turns out it costs USD$450 to renounce citizenship.

I live in Europe now, between in the UK and Spain. I'm not black, I'm "white"...or white. With no quotes.

I have European citizenship and realise you're right. The UK passport gives me that same sort of freedom.

But man, I swear to god, this country is so backwards. Again, no offense to anyone. But gotdamn! Europe has its problems, but the relgious shit, (the *fake* relgious shit, ie, I'd rather profess good will than live it), the racist shit, the anti-gay shit, the anti-other shit...it's so intense here! I don't want to denigrate anyone, I want the best for everyone...but it seems rought here.
12766028, oops, i guess i meant your citizenship, not nationality
Posted by akon, Sun Mar-29-15 11:22 PM
>Good question--I have. It turns out it costs USD$450 to
>renounce citizenship.

but i find it interesting that the U.K is preferrable
granted i've only been to london but that was probably the most miserable country i've been to
its only good for a few days
my sister grew up in london ... i think the racial issues in the u.k are probably worse than in the u.s to be honest
was supposed to go to madrid a few weeks ago but that didnt happen so i cant really speak to spain.

where did you live in the u.s.

>But man, I swear to god, this country is so backwards. Again,
>no offense to anyone. But gotdamn! Europe has its problems,
>but the relgious shit, (the *fake* relgious shit, ie, I'd
>rather profess good will than live it), the racist shit, the
>anti-gay shit, the anti-other shit...it's so intense here! I
>don't want to denigrate anyone, I want the best for
>everyone...but it seems rought here.

where in the u.k do you live that this does not exist? (other than the religion ish)

btw, as a non- american passport holder, i envy that american passport.
the ability to just get on a plane without having to visit an embassy for a visa is something i wouldnt mind having at all
12766013, bet you cant get no slurpee doe
Posted by rdhull, Sun Mar-29-15 10:50 PM
12766016, True
Posted by jd215, Sun Mar-29-15 10:57 PM
12766014, Where you stay now if I may ask?
Posted by normal35762, Sun Mar-29-15 10:53 PM
12766017, UK/Spain
Posted by jd215, Sun Mar-29-15 10:58 PM
Alright places for a different POV. With their own ingrained bullshit of course.