Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNEW Music Snobs episode ft Phonte !! The Misunderstanding of Lauryn Hill
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12765267
12765267, NEW Music Snobs episode ft Phonte !! The Misunderstanding of Lauryn Hill
Posted by Ally Al 2003, Fri Mar-27-15 02:56 PM

What’s worse than a Music Snob? A Grammy-nominated guest-Snob crazy enough to get on the mic and talk sht with Scoop, Isaac, Jehan, and Arthur. Little Brother MC and Foreign Exchange lead vocalist Phonte joins us for this special episode of TMS to discuss the Misunderstanding of Lauryn Hill and her responsibility to her fans. Afterwards, Tay and the Snobs ask What If Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis hadn’t gotten fired from The Time? Get ready for a TMS episode unlike any you’ve ever heard.

https://soundcloud.com/themusicsnobs/episode-036
12765329, cool-
Posted by kinetic94761180, Fri Mar-27-15 03:33 PM
12765332, I'm afraid to listen
Posted by rdhull, Fri Mar-27-15 03:36 PM
12765344, grow a pair
Posted by Binladen, Fri Mar-27-15 03:47 PM
12765345, crosses legs
Posted by rdhull, Fri Mar-27-15 03:48 PM
>
12765349, http://superdimension.net/gifs/animated/chuckle.gif
Posted by Binladen, Fri Mar-27-15 03:50 PM
http://superdimension.net/gifs/animated/chuckle.gif
12765354, VERY cool. Are y'all on stitcher, yet?
Posted by spades, Fri Mar-27-15 03:57 PM
12765576, J says they're going to look into it
Posted by Ally Al 2003, Sat Mar-28-15 11:56 AM
And thanks for the heads up
12765373, RE: NEW Music Snobs episode ft Phonte !! The Misunderstanding of Lauryn Hill
Posted by nipsey, Fri Mar-27-15 04:15 PM
There's so much I want to say about this episode. It was top notch as usual. And there's a part two? Can't wait for that.

The Lauryn Hill discussion was on point. Many folks in the podcast brought up the same things I do when I discuss Lauryn Hill. Particularly what Scoop and Phonte said. She does NOT have the body of work behind her to pull these antics. Completely rearranging her songs rendering them unrecognizable. Showing up 2, 3 hours late. Stuff like that is unacceptable. She's been doing this for over ten years!

She was involved in basically two hit albums. The Score and Miseducation. Blunted on Reality was meh. And the Unplugged album was a mess. So where does she get off acting like she does?

Also, she refused to put out new music. I think Phonte said, there was no excuse not to put out music in 2015 when you're an artist of her magnitude. You have so many resources to get your music out there. There's nothing holding her back. I have thought for years, and I'm happy to hear that others might feel the same, that she just doesn't have "it". Miseducation was likely a product of all the ghost writers, musicians and producers rather than her singular genius and she knows it. She's not going to be able to replicate that success or even come close to it on her own so she'd rather skate on the legacy and myth of Miseducation. For whatever reason, fans today still go see her despite her blatant disrespect of her fanbase. As pointed out on the podcast, there are no half measures. She should either go all in and be an evolving artist and workout and debut new stuff or she should perform her old hits at least in a recognizable form to satisfy the fans. In any event, she needs to respect her fans and not show up 3 hours late for concerts.

With respect to the "What if Jam & Lewis had not been fired by Prince in '83?". Thinking about this hypothetical actually made me angry. Angry at "what could have been". I agree that they eventually would have parted ways with #thatguy, but if Prince's ego wasn't out of control, he could have ruled pop music with Paisley Park at least for a while. Jam and Lewis could have been in house producers making R&B hits. Wendy & Lisa could have done the same. So many top notch artists could have signed with Paisley Park. Tony, Toni, Tone, Jodeci, Me'shell Ndegeocello. Prince would have been free to do his "Prince" thing while reaping the financial benefits of hits coming out of his house and artistic cred around the industry by putting these other groups on.

But as Isaac pointed out, dude is "Control Godzilla" and wouldn't (couldn't) let that happen. He just has to be the center of attention and be the reason for success. But if he had put his ego aside for a second, and treated Paisley Park more than just a vanity label, we could have had a modern day "Motown". And thinking about how that didn't come close to happening makes me angry.

12765380, this is why Im afraid to listen
Posted by rdhull, Fri Mar-27-15 04:26 PM

>With respect to the "What if Jam & Lewis had not been fired by
>Prince in '83?". Thinking about this hypothetical actually
>made me angry. Angry at "what could have been". I agree that
>they eventually would have parted ways with #thatguy, but if
>Prince's ego wasn't out of control, he could have ruled pop
>music with Paisley Park at least for a while. Jam and Lewis
>could have been in house producers making R&B hits. Wendy &
>Lisa could have done the same. So many top notch artists could
>have signed with Paisley Park. Tony, Toni, Tone, Jodeci,
>Me'shell Ndegeocello. Prince would have been free to do his
>"Prince" thing while reaping the financial benefits of hits
>coming out of his house and artistic cred around the industry
>by putting these other groups on.
>
>But as Isaac pointed out, dude is "Control Godzilla" and
>wouldn't (couldn't) let that happen. He just has to be the
>center of attention and be the reason for success. But if he
>had put his ego aside for a second, and treated Paisley Park
>more than just a vanity label, we could have had a modern day
>"Motown". And thinking about how that didn't come close to
>happening makes me angry.
>
>
12765494, I'm way too much of a Lauryn stan to finish listening...
Posted by OrangeMoon, Fri Mar-27-15 10:15 PM
especially to claims that her genius is a "myth" that's blasphemy!
Phonte, how rude!
12765495, it IS a myth.
Posted by rdhull, Fri Mar-27-15 10:16 PM
>especially to claims that her genius is a "myth" that's
>blasphemy!
>Phonte, how rude!
12765578, state your case for her genius.
Posted by shockzilla, Sat Mar-28-15 12:05 PM
12765768, MC skills, only two albums and considered one of the best.
Posted by OrangeMoon, Sun Mar-29-15 01:09 AM
not only the delivery but mainly the content is what makes her genius status.
12765624, well, at least you admitted you are extremely bias
Posted by legsdiamond, Sat Mar-28-15 02:37 PM