Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwhite mans books are inherently more knowledgy.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12764010
12764010, white mans books are inherently more knowledgy.
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Mar-26-15 01:35 PM
for my USC is OBVIOUSLY a better school then Howard! types

I will grant that in the advanced sciences or fields, your typical PWI has more money & facilities to really expand the knowledge in the field, so serious students in the graduate or PHD courses would go to that institution rather than the best of the HBCUs. i will grant that.

but undergrad?

no niggas.

NO.

the shit they are learning in Freshman English 101 @ Harvard is of the same quality and caliber & level as the shit being taught in its equivalent @ Howard or SpelHouse.

no Harvard isnt better than Howard & idgaf what us news & world reports rankings say.

in fact for obvious reasons I submit that Howard is clearly the better school esp for your typical lost in the sauce trying to figure out their life ass teenger of the Black persuasion.

now. talk amongst yourselves. i have weights to lift.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
12764017, this is all wrong, but i'm still riding with you 100%
Posted by Government Name, Thu Mar-26-15 01:36 PM
12764024, I think there was a time Howard was better than Harvard
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Mar-26-15 01:41 PM
When the best option for every smart black person in the entire country was to go to Howard, I think it had the highest concentration of smart people in the country period.

But now Harvard has the ability to attract the smartest black people.

Text books might be all the same at all these schools but what separates schools IMHOP is peer group. Just being around the best and the brightest challenges you to be the best and the brightest.

BTW, I don't think Harvard has the best undergrad because it's too big and many of its class are being taught by grad students, and it's focus is it's grad school.

I think the best undergrad is a school that's more of a pure undergrad play like Princeton.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12764043, lawd my people. this must be how harriet tubman felt.
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Mar-26-15 01:50 PM
NO. NO the "smartest" Black people arent @ Harvard

there are some really driven hard working people @ harvard of all races & cultures.

there are more driven hard working Black people...@ Howard.

there are more...and its a more welcoming yet just as challenging environment.

nope!

rejecting your logic, sir.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
12764087, I'll give you "More" as in pure numbers
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Mar-26-15 02:14 PM
I think the smartest black people if given the opportunity, overwhelmingly go to the 3 or 4 US News Report Top schools in the country cause they can.

Because Howard has a bigger black population than harvard, I'll give you that there are more smart black people at Howard.

In grad school there were probably just as many black people from HBCUs as the Ivys...But it was a PWI Grad School.

>NO. NO the "smartest" Black people arent @ Harvard
>
>there are some really driven hard working people @ harvard of
>all races & cultures.
>
>there are more driven hard working Black people...@ Howard.
>
>there are more...and its a more welcoming yet just as
>challenging environment.
>
>nope!
>
>rejecting your logic, sir.
>
>
>does it really matter?
>
>wonder what bin's doing?
>http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12764095, but they SHOULD be @ Howard. thats the point
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Mar-26-15 02:19 PM
they go to Harvard because they can. great. they think harvard is better. its not. thats the thing.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
12764241, RE: I think there was a time Howard was better than Harvard
Posted by double 0, Thu Mar-26-15 03:21 PM
What does Pure undergrad mean? a School with no graduate program?
12764254, 'text books'...LOL.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Mar-26-15 03:32 PM
the only text books used at my school were in certain introductory-level science classes ("Physics for Poets", et al). otherwise we didn't use text books - only original source material.

i never took an "English class" at my school but in my Humanities classes we read nothing but novels and had discussions about them. there was no text book.

maybe it's like this at other schools too.
12764439, depended on the class at GT
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Mar-26-15 05:25 PM
A small majority of my Biology and Psychology classes 2000 level and above had text books

Most of those textbooks could get you in the B/C range for a grade without outside reading, the rest seemed like topical arrangements for the professor and nothing more.

Material for completing assignments was expected to come from primary research.

Programming classes all had master texts, as did foreign language classes that were phonics based. Topical foreign language classes (composition, conversation, etc) did not.
12764435, when was this time? lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Mar-26-15 05:16 PM
Altho i will say you have to physically assault a professor during lecture to get anything less than a B at most Ivy schools
12764027, to be clear, my opinion on the matter is regarding MY child/ren...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Mar-26-15 01:44 PM
I'm hoping to bring her up a LOT more aware and clear about how to achieve her dreams and goals than I was brought up.

So MANY times...the Black mantra is "Just go to college and get a degree...I don't care WHERE you go, just as long as you go."

I think that's kinda lame in many respects.....

and yeah....for your typical lost in the sauce trying to figure out their life ass teenger of the Black persuasion....I'd readily push them towards the right HBCU in a heartbeat.

"Seasons may come and your luck just may run out, and all that you'll have is some memories..."
12764204, I think this concept has been taken a little too far
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Mar-26-15 03:08 PM
There are differences betwen undergrad institutions. The concepts are the same and IF YOU DO WELL, your choice of school will have little impact on your opportunities.

But what it takes to do well can be very different between schools. The workload, available resources and quality of students can be very different.

I mean, I got an engineering degree from MD and I've known or met engineering students at several HBCU's

I'd say FAMU's engineering education was on par with MD (but FAMU's engineering school is FSU). NC A&T was on par.

Howard, in my opinion, was not. The people I saw that transferred in said they were doing WAY more work at MD than they ever had to do at Howard. My cousin is there with a 3.8 and I know he's not getting as deep as I did at Maryland.

If you did really well at both, you could still get into just about any grad program you wanted, but I feel you'd be better prepared coming out of MD or any other school that has a rigourous engineering program.
12764224, i have family who graduated from lower ranked schools
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Mar-26-15 03:16 PM
and i am confident saying they didn't receive as rigorous education as i received at my alma mater. i have a cousin who graduated from a local STL university and sent me her resume to edit as she applied for jobs. i wanted to cry - the shit read like it was written by someone w/a 10th grade education. i didn't know how to fix it w/o completely rewriting it. b/c everything in it was wrong. everything.

meanwhile i learned how to prepare a resume at my alma mater. the right way. i ended up giving her some of the material i had from my school and letting her re-do the thing herself.

but that's just one example - a friend is currently finishing his undergrad degree at a local Chicago institution and he complains about the students in his classes. mainly he says they're just not as smart as the students at the Big 10 school where he started his undergrad education.

these are just a couple of examples. i don't usually get involved in arguments that all college education is the same. i just let ppl believe that if they want.
12764328, Yeah... to Bin's point though, USC isn't necessarily better than Howard
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Thu Mar-26-15 03:55 PM
There may be some programs at Howard that are on par or better than USC's.

The social side is also important. We had a lot of black students at my school but the school generally wasn't very supportive of students, minorities in particular.

I feel like the guys at HBCU's generally had alot more camaraderie and their administrations wanted to see them succeed. At mine, the professors generally would rather be doing research than teaching and you were on your own to find a support network.

A completed degree is still more valuable than an incomplete one so you have to be real about what you need to get to the finish line.
12764332, probably. but i dunno.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Mar-26-15 03:57 PM
>There may be some programs at Howard that are on par or
>better than USC's.

could be.

>The social side is also important. We had a lot of black
>students at my school but the school generally wasn't very
>supportive of students, minorities in particular.

the school was pretty supportive of our social lives in the 1st yr or so. we had lots of planned but not forced social activities that gave us a chance to bond w/our peers. i made friends i still have today.

>I feel like the guys at HBCU's generally had alot more
>camaraderie and their administrations wanted to see them
>succeed. At mine, the professors generally would rather be
>doing research than teaching and you were on your own to find
>a support network.

the professors at my school were very accessible.

>A completed degree is still more valuable than an incomplete
>one so you have to be real about what you need to get to the
>finish line.

agreed.
12764205, naw.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Mar-26-15 03:10 PM
this is the same b/s ppl sell to kids when telling them all college education is the same.

it ain't.

if you don't know you don't know.

12764318, Cornell West taught at Harvard and Princeton, not Howard and Hampton...
Posted by Billy Ray Valentine, Thu Mar-26-15 03:51 PM
and Hampton, the elite PWI's get the best instructors of ALL races
12764339, I am pretty sure Cornell West was a terrible instructor.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Mar-26-15 04:02 PM
The problem with a place like Harvard is that they have rock star lecturers but the class work would be handed off to grad students who don't know anything about teaching.

12764348, He took a whole month off from classes to help with a presidential campaign
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Mar-26-15 04:07 PM
Him and the Harvard President had some serious beefs about multiple issues
12764325, Nah they're not the same... at all
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Mar-26-15 03:53 PM
The intermediate undergraduate econ course at Yale is equivalent to the masters level econ course at a lower tier Big 12 school.

I know this from experience

I would guess Howard is probably on par with the mid/lowel level Big 12
12764330, believe you I do not. more people you do need. - hatin ass yoda nm
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Mar-26-15 03:56 PM

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
12764880, Why Am I Always Defending My HBCU Education to Other Black People?
Posted by Government Name, Fri Mar-27-15 10:42 AM
written by my homie

http://gawker.com/why-am-i-always-defending-my-hbcu-education-to-other-bl-1693930761
12764885, SPEAK ON IT!!!!
Posted by Binlahab, Fri Mar-27-15 10:45 AM
they dont get it

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
12764932, i dont know about hbcu's
Posted by akon, Fri Mar-27-15 11:14 AM
i do wish i had attended one, sometimes

but with regards to the us rankings, yea i dont believe that hype
im at the #1 school of PH and half the time (well, 90% of the time) i wish id have gone to a different school/ lower ranked school
i was recently looking at a school in western michigan (pause) that has the program i wish i were in
but my friends are on some, wait what? are you crazy?
i dont feel like the education im getting here is any better than one i would've gotten at...
actually, this education feels sub par to what i got from my masters
and with 100% more unnecessary stress
at this stage, i dont need the name recognition

my best educational experience was at unc-chapel
i will always be a tarheel.
went to an ivy for my masters- actually have nothing but good things to say about the program
definitely prepared me for what i needed to do
i think the networking is the most important gain though - these loans are no joke

now, *this* school?
i doubt i will ever rep this school.
shit.
i met a guy that was considering transferring back to a hbcu... i definitely understand.