Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Homophobia has robbed men of touch (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12762947&mesg_id=12764033
12764033, RE: Homophobia has robbed men of touch (link)
Posted by TRENDone, Thu Mar-26-15 01:45 PM
this article resonates with me, especially having worked with teenagers for 8 years or so. i was born in the philippines and when i moved here to california at a very young age, i had to learn new cultural norms.

in the philippines it's normal to see young men walking around with their arms around each other in a platonic way. it's normal to see men with no shirts on hugging each other or take pics together. there have been 2 female philippine presidents in my lifetime.

i cringe at work every time i see students make physical contact with (female) staff but a part of me says fuck it, it's normal and not sexual. they probably don't hug their parents. but i don't fight social norms; just bring attention to them. there's a BIG difference when a male school staff hugs a female student. there's a BIG difference when a male students screams "i love you" to a female teacher. women staff get probation for fucking students. i'd probably get prison time if i texted a female student "wyd? (emoticon)" past 9pm. i'll tell you this: most teen girls are aware of the double standard and love to test limits.

i went to europe for the first time in 2014. it kinda re-opened my eyes to how american sexuality/norms are different. you know...how it's "wrong" when pilipino males show affection to each other cuz we're a dirty 3rd world country, but "elegant" when french or italian guys kiss each other on the cheek to greet each other hello...

i have 2 nephews, 1.5 and 2.5. i'm very affectionate with them. i can't wait til they're a little older and stronger so i can be more physical with them. i want to encourage sports and athletic competition with them...something my parents/aunts/uncles never really instilled in us.

great read...i'm just ranting imcomplete thoughts...