Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIs this preference specific though?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12762947&mesg_id=12763270
12763270, Is this preference specific though?
Posted by denny, Wed Mar-25-15 10:48 PM
I don't touch other hetero men's wives. I'd contend other societies have more touch regardless of preference. It seems weird to say that 'homophobia provokes this attitude'. If it did...it would manifest the same way everywhere. Most non-western countries are MUCH more homophobic than the US. So why would the US be 'particular' about this?

The Protestant idealism and emphasis on individuality that defines American ideals seems to be a more direct explanation for the absence of human touch than homophobia. I'd argue that the way homophobia manifests in America is a by-product of the broader social paradigm of individualism. Freedom over the greater good. A perspective that views other people as a burden or as competition. You don't need them.....you tolerate them. Most of the world has an underlying assumption and understanding that we need each other to be who we are. By ourselves....we are an animal. We depend on each other's interaction for our very own self-perception. I can't be who I am without the people around me. I am a product of human interaction.