Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Real talk, who believes this is a good thing? Why?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12761691&mesg_id=12790981
12790981, RE: Real talk, who believes this is a good thing? Why?
Posted by Utamaroho, Mon Apr-27-15 09:06 AM
Real questions no SNARK. I really want to hear your honest dialog.

Why do you think Oxegen is doing the show?

-ratings.

Who thinks it's a good thing for males to dress and act like females?

-"dressing like females" to me is subjective when looking at ideas of masculinity/femininity on a sliding scale and taking history/fashion/personal bias into account. i saw dudes on the Appalachian Trail this year with kilts on who were lampooned by even fellow hikers who knew the deal with why it's cool to wear 'em, but *shrugs*.

What do you think is the goal of these males? Maybe they like dancing and all. I'm just asking.

-goal? to dance. they like dancing and they like that style of dancing. that it's been the historically been the realm of women is inconsequential. immediately i think of how wearing earnings and having pierced ears has historically been something BOTH sexes have done throughout time. here in america there have DEFINITELY been similar bias against it for men to wear them in just our lifetimes due to thoughts about what "men" should and shouldn't do.

Do you think that the actions of these males will have a positive effect on the image on the Black Man or a negative one?

- positive/negative? depends on one's perspective. i tend to just wanna look at what unfolds and watch. personally though, i think it's positive.

What kind of stereotypes is this show reinforcing?

-that it's becoming more and more unfashionable and ridiculous to ridicule people because they do something different than you. more than seeing the Prancing Elite as "different", i think the world is starting to turn focus more on why small groups of people (many of whom were marginalized themselves) are perpetuating the same types of ideas and bigotry once applied to THEM. the "stereotypical" conservative religious black (or white) conservatives are constantly shown to be on the "wrong side of history" with their ideas. (no snark)