Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectagain, it was about more than being Black.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12761562&mesg_id=12761847
12761847, again, it was about more than being Black.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Wed Mar-25-15 10:42 AM
Black was not the qualifier.

If we had Black people here as slaves and they couldn't do the work required in the fields, how long would they have kept Black chattel slavery in operation?

Again, beyond being Black, our skilled labor is what was coveted. The justification for why they felt they could have access to our humanity for free was because of our Blackness. They literally had to rebrand "Blackness" because prior to the transatlantic slave trade the "Black"/"Moor" brand had a completely different connotation, one much more in line with what I am presenting in regards to what these enslaved Africans possessed beyond their Blackness.

Understand that MANY found persecution in Colonial America. There were plenty of justifications for getting over on shit (religion, gender, manifest destiny, etc) HOWEVER we specifically had to be made slaves so that we could be divorced from our stake and right in the means of production for generating this country's wealth. It wasn't because we were Black, it was because we were skilled. Black was the superficial justification, but the reason we were enslaved is because we made the machine go and the machine did not want to pay us. They needed our mental and physical attributes more than our "Black" bodies. Being Black and Black alone doesn't qualify you to undertake the task of building this country. Mental and physical skill do. Sorry if it comes off condescending, but rather I am trying to delineate my POV so that I can thoroughly present my line of argument, to whomever may be reading. No offense intended.