Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAre These Comments By Kevin Hart Considered "Bootstraps"?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12761500
12761500, Are These Comments By Kevin Hart Considered "Bootstraps"?
Posted by daryloneal, Tue Mar-24-15 08:59 PM
https://youtu.be/OKobFb6hpWQ?t=11m10s

11:10 - 15:38

Just asking.
12761528, Yes, and no....
Posted by iKilan, Tue Mar-24-15 09:27 PM
from what I take from it he can see that you have to work harder to get a place in Hollywood. The world aint perfect, and neither is hollywood, but you still gotta work, network, and help other people out. You cant stop at "No." or bitch about the next man.

12763317, I didn't hear it as bootstraps so much as grassroots movement
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Thu Mar-26-15 12:53 AM
The people spoke for him.
12763526, You can't really bootstrap in hollywood. You can do your own thing
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Mar-26-15 09:18 AM
outside of hollywood and maybe reach the point that hollywood can't deny you anymore.

But dude wasn't saying he made it because he worked hard for 19 years. He is saying he made it because he built his own thing with his stand-up comedy.

Slight difference.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12763531, But he also said regarding the topic of racism:
Posted by daryloneal, Thu Mar-26-15 09:20 AM
"When you get into a position to change it, change it".

Most people around here get up in arms when simple statements like that are made using exceptional examples (i.e. Tyler Perry, Oprah) without laying out all the steps to how the common person can do the same.
12761530, This was a classy version of the Dame Dash interview....
Posted by murderbear, Tue Mar-24-15 09:30 PM
in the sense that he basically advocated getting out there and creating a situation for yourself that cant be taken away, ala tyler perry, oprah, etc

i watched it til the end and peeped how he addressed Aries and Mike Epps. although it may have seemed like he did a bit of sidestepping and was able to justify his *writers*...all in all, his message was dignified and positive and cast a light on the negativity that his detractors have been spewing.

i wont watch get hard, i dont think that kind of movie is creative or funny, its just formulaic, black guy/white guy in an odd situation

but i respect his serious viewpoints though, glad i watched.
12761531, One of my Facebook friends said the same thing.
Posted by daryloneal, Tue Mar-24-15 09:32 PM
12763307, What he said about his writers made perfect sense.
Posted by Castro, Thu Mar-26-15 12:30 AM
Back in the day, DL Hughley had a rep with other comics because his "boys" would go to shows and write down jokes and take them to D.L. Earthquake had a beef with him about this and I remember DL coming to headline at Quakes club, and after DL got off stage, on a Saturday night, Quake went on and did a whole set...and basically said at the end, "AND I BETTA NOT HEAR THESE MF JOKES NO WHERE ELSE".

So Mike Epps accusation wasn't out of nowhere, but when Kevin Hart explained his routine and schedule with his writers, he deaded that whole accusation. There isn't anything Mike Epps could say to that because he has had a bit of a taste of the A-list comedian's schedule...the shit Kevin Hart is doing right now is beyond that...I am not even a big Kevin Hart fan, but the way he broke down what is doing was inspiring.
12761610, not sure what it is but i agree with it. stop the yappin make it happen
Posted by BigJazz, Wed Mar-25-15 05:44 AM
12761614, Monique the 3rd time around is now saying Lee Daniels started
Posted by Riot, Wed Mar-25-15 06:15 AM
The black ball

and "bootstraps" in Hollywood ain't the same as arguing it to the general public
12761616, It's the same message. Actors are normal struggling people...
Posted by daryloneal, Wed Mar-25-15 06:41 AM
just like everyone else.
12761926, .
Posted by daryloneal, Wed Mar-25-15 11:15 AM
12763502, #RealShit
Posted by Billy Ray Valentine, Thu Mar-26-15 09:07 AM