Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHmmmm.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12761357&mesg_id=12763227
12763227, Hmmmm.
Posted by denny, Wed Mar-25-15 09:56 PM
Firstly, I don't agree with the premise that black people are under-represented in pop culture. And that contention is quantifiable. In terms of 'presence in numbers'....black americans are represented in tv/films and music more than fairly based on population demographics. In popular American music....black people are heavily OVER-represented. Latinos are the demographic that is severely underrepresented in popular culture as a whole.

The goal-posts usually change when that's pointed out to people who use analogies like the napkin. 'We're not talking about actual numbers....we're talking about the nature of their representation'. That's a much more legitimate point in my mind. There's plenty of black faces in tv and movies but not enough black writers, directors and producers. So even though the numbers are proportionately representative in terms of 'presence'.....it's the WAY that black people are represented that should be the point of contention....not simply the amount of black faces. Making that distinction will make these arguments much stronger. Cause frankly....it's pretty clear that more than 12% of American music stars and tv/film stars are black. That napkin analogy is much more appropriate for the Latino population in the States.

In any case....I can't help but think he's fooling himself for not seeing a homophobic agenda in the contention that he's defending. It wouldn't be THAT difficult to come up with a percentage of black celebrities who are gay or who play gay characters in relation to hetero black actors/characters. It would surprise me if that ratio were much different than it is for white celebrities. I've read enough 'the media is trying to make black men effeminate' conspiracy theories on OKP to see that there is a homophobic agenda driving it.

On another note....I thought it was really interesting what he had to say about his privilege in side-stepping certain racial prejudices in being effeminate. People don't like copping to privileges....so when they do....I tend to listen. And what he's saying about that makes sense within parameters. In a way....I think it's honourable of him to acknowledge that because he's illuminating someone else's struggle. He's saying that masculine black men have it worse than him in certain contexts and situations.....and that at least shows a willingness to empathize with and shine a light on someone else's struggle.