Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI've benefited from Affirmative Action. Also no matter where I go
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12759626&mesg_id=12760098
12760098, I've benefited from Affirmative Action. Also no matter where I go
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Mar-23-15 06:32 PM
I can always find common ground with the other black person there.

Like college, I went to a PWI. Everyone arrives on campus not knowing anyone. When I arrived on campus all I had to do was make a bee line to the black folks and I had an instant community. I remember my white roommates not having that and having to find a community if they ever found one at all.

Like spades said I also am an attractive candidate for jobs because brothers like me are rare. I think the last boss who hired me hired me because he wanted to seem cool hiring a black person.

I grew up in a black community so I never had run in with cops or white folks disrespecting me.

My academic record is impeccable so I don't think I ever really had people questioning my intellect.

I am 5'8" on only weigh a buck fifty and light skin so people rarely find me physically intimidating.

My parents are 60s radical types so I never had any doubt about identity or that black is beautiful.

I've been really lucky.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're