Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI had *two* stepfathers and I can tell you how that worked...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12755254&mesg_id=12755556
12755556, I had *two* stepfathers and I can tell you how that worked...
Posted by StephBMore, Wed Mar-18-15 02:18 PM
the first was my sister's dad, who I called by his first name then and now. he married my mom when I was 3 or 4. He treated me like a daughter, but I never considered him my father because I had a father. I respected him and his authority, but he never could punish me, never had a reason to. He was actually like one of my uncles. but i refer to him as my sister's dad most of the time. however, when I call him and other ppl answer the phone, i call him dad or say "this is his daughter Steph". Yes, I'm affectionate with him, hugs, kisses, I love yous.

my second one came in when I was like 15. He was 30. He was always trying to be helpful but I didn't go for it. I didn't feel like he should have been able to punish my sister (he did. his son and my sis were the same age so they got in all the trouble). However, he was helpful in a lot of ways and was more like an older cousin who happened to be dating my mom. Wasn't ever affectionate with him. Only because as i got older, he was the age of a man who'd want to date me.

I know some ppl dont like the term step but I have a father. He was in my life. I'm not calling another man "dad" when I have my own dad present. I wouldn't do that to my mom either. But each relationship is different as such, a person's role as a "Step" parent has to be discussed with the OG parents and the children.