Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12754513&mesg_id=12755988
12755988, RE:
Posted by astralblak, Wed Mar-18-15 09:42 PM
>im not planning an academic track - i plan to be working in
>the field

good luck bro. that's dope

>which is not to say thats everyone's path in life
>but im also at a research institute where the majority of the
>research
>especially public health related research often feels like
>research for research sake

it kind of is, but quality research that gains traction will eventually affect policy. I think we're FINALLY getting some traction in the debate around the Prison Industrial Complex, because of the very research work that Make Davis did in City of Quartz, Angela Davis did in Are Prison's Obsolete, and Parenti did Lock Down America and recently Michelle Alexander has with The New Jim Crow.

alongside the grassroots work of groups like Books Not Bars and the many local prison pen pal program, 20 years of research has brought us here, and I'm sure at the time many felt it was research for research sake.

same could be said about struggles around the environment, public school education, or something like cancer research

>not much implementation being done=- which is the prime
>purpose of research
>and yes i have a huge issue with that.
>
we agree.

>>scholarship and gaining positions within institutions, which
>>can lead to research grants is absolutely fundamental to our
>>polyvocal movement against white supremacy.
>
>im really curious about this,
>tell us what his research has amounted to
>where its been applied, and how his research grants have
>furthered the movement.
>as much shit as he talks about obama not having done anything
>for black people
>i really want to know how he earned that pedestal he's
>currently standing on
>to be spouting this much vitriol

i feel what I stated above, is part of what Dr. West is a part of. That's no small thing in my book. there is no shame in the Academic life and making sure certain voices and content are present within institutions, especially when they (university administrations) are trying to eradicate any critical classes around race, class, sex, gender, and power.