Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectjust gave notice
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12752949
12752949, just gave notice
Posted by PG, Mon Mar-16-15 01:41 PM
was stressing hard over this... leaving a chaotic untennable but heart in the right place sitch.... movin on back to the ladder about the same or one rung higher than my last trip down a snake...

yep that about sums up professional life... snakes and ladders.

now spin or roll dice
12752975, Hope it works out wonderfully.
Posted by Sepia., Mon Mar-16-15 01:59 PM
I was stressed when I left my job because I didn't have one lined up. But it's working out.

Any time you can leave a place that's hurting more than helping you, it's a good thing.
12753004, thanks! me too!
Posted by PG, Mon Mar-16-15 02:19 PM
12752994, giving notice is one of the best feelings ever.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-16-15 02:11 PM
12753000, YES!!! I gave my two weeks to the shop I was working at...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-16-15 02:16 PM
dude went into panic mode trying to keep me. I had to tell him him best attempt at money...still wasn't in the same galaxy and when you added benefits and perks...not to even waste his time. I worked my last two weeks like a soldier, even though I wanted to stay home and lamp. They were scramblin trying to find a replacement. Shit felt so great.
12753008, lol that makes it even better...when they desperately wanna keep you
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-16-15 02:21 PM
Shoulda shown all that appreciation before. I was with my company for 13 years and they stopped giving raises around 07. In 08 they laid off about 10% of the staff and the cut everyone's salary by 15%. They slowly gave it back in the years that followed and i was able to get a slight increase from my original salary with a promotion.

When i told them dudes i was out, the owner said i could have any position I wanted and to name my salary and he would give it to me. I was like nah, i'm good. Dude was dumbfounded. They laid off more staff and went through a complete overhaul 6 months later.

I was like i'm a good employee but i wasn't that good to be writing my own ticket. It was obvious them dudes was cooked.

That 1.5 weeks notice was the best 10 days of my life though.
12753003, not when your bailing on something you believe in
Posted by PG, Mon Mar-16-15 02:18 PM
I got obligations that are too large for me to do anything for peanuts though...

It went better than I thought but it didn't feel good leading up to it... you know like I was going to be really letting somebody down.
12753009, I can't relate. Unless maybe you a surgeon leaving mid surgery or a teacher
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-16-15 02:23 PM
in the middle of the year.

If you invested in your job like that, i mean kudos. But are they invested in you like that? If not, i would not gaf.
12753176, It's a non-profit that provides service to folks with life threatening diseases
Posted by PG, Mon Mar-16-15 03:57 PM
specifically HIV, Cancer and ALS.

Straight up they need me but they cannot pay me enough to survive or even come close to making my ends meet.
12753185, damn, that's tough man...I'm sorry...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-16-15 04:03 PM
in my scenario above, I was doing double duty (technician and service writer) never demanded a raise, never complained and took a lot of bullshit from the worthless shop manager that I didn't have to...all in the name of being a team player. One day, I just decided to stop selling myself short and put out some resumes. Got scooped up almost immediately. They were in a state of shock when I peaced out. It was so fuckin delicious.
12753210, got you then...that's understandable.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-16-15 04:24 PM
12753300, you know what I did....
Posted by Trinity444, Mon Mar-16-15 06:34 PM
I quit my underpaying job
(I used to love it so pay didn't matter)
for a job that paid a lot more
(my worth)
and ended up quitting that one too

don't be like me lol
the grass isn't always greener....

I'm OK with both decision - as I'm using this time to figure out where I want to be.

#faithful

12753310, YO...
Posted by morpheme, Mon Mar-16-15 06:48 PM
unknot that noose, brother.
use it to anchor yourself to something better.
12753376, Congrats!
Posted by jesustrauss, Mon Mar-16-15 08:29 PM
I walked away from my j.o.b. a few months ago, and it's been roses since.

someone else on these boards also recently gave notice and it's gonna be fresh for them (but i don't think the boards know, so i'll keep it quiet for now).

Good luck with errything!