Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectexactly. you just proved my point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12746278&mesg_id=12747251
12747251, exactly. you just proved my point.
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Mar-10-15 04:06 PM
the bible instructs women to stay silent because it says it's disgraceful for women to speak in church. i'm guessing you haven't given too many sermons on that instruction. you're choosing to downplay it for cultural reasons-- what fit in paul's time and culture doesn't work in ours where we see women as equals.

the point is, there are thousands of instructions in the bible. you choose which to emphasize, which to downplay, and which to ignore based on cultural and personal preferences. everybody does. which is why it's silly to look at what modern or younger churches are focusing on for their congregations and say they're practicing a watered down theology.

according to the author of the article you posted, jesus himself practiced a watered down theology because he never spoke on abortion, evolution, or homosexuality-- three things the author believes true christians should be emphasizing. those weren't huge cultural issues in jesus's day, so he didn't address them, even though-- as God-- he must certainly have had an opinion on them.

based on that, you could label jesus himself a cafeteria christian. just like every other christian (or person of any religion) who ever lived.