Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLOL. i'll tell you how i turned away from church.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12746278&mesg_id=12746454
12746454, LOL. i'll tell you how i turned away from church.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Mar-10-15 06:38 AM
i learned things in school that gave me new perspective on what i'd learned about the faith. specifically, once i learned that the Bible had been edited by a group of men - Catholics at that - and i started to question why certain books were chosen and others rejected. and that was just the beginning - the more i was able to wrap historical context around the scripture the less i believed it was God's infallible Word and the more i believed the scriptures were a tool of social and political control first used by Jewish leaders and later adopted and expanded by Catholics & Romans. and once that happened i was able to question every aspect of the faith. and frankly it didn't withstand critical thought. and after a few yrs of this soul searching and intense research i was left w/o any faith.

so that's what happened. it's NOT b/c i didn't get enough fire and brimstone on Sunday mornings. fire and brimstone definitely would turn me off though. especially since i know there are other options.

i'd definitely rather serve a feel good God than a fiery one. i mean, for what?