Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou are basically saying "A person should be normal"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12744975&mesg_id=12774911
12774911, You are basically saying "A person should be normal"
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Apr-08-15 07:07 AM
Which I guess makes sense but sometimes people aren't normal. The kids who kill themselves from social media taunting? They aren't normal. Yet it happens.

In law we have the Eggshell skull theory. Google it. The basic premise is one liable for all consequences resulting from his or her tortious (usually negligent) activities leading to an injury to another person, even if the victim suffers an unusually high level of damage (e.g. due to a pre-existing vulnerability or medical condition).

Now I don't want to turn this into a legal discussion. I just want to show there is precedent for accepting the idea that sometimes people aren't normal and we can't expect them to react normally to stuff.

Now do I think art shouldn't make jokes that make fun of people? I am not saying that at all.

I am just saying their is a moral component of making art and that moral component means one should feel bad if your mocking them lead to their suicide. It ain't that hard.

>we shouldn't be silly children that think we're "special".
>Dude was in an industry that dealt purely on people's
>insecurities and narcissism, I'm sure there were plenty of
>times where he capitalized on people's lack of self esteem to
>make a bunch of money. And you can't handle someone spoofing
>you??? Get over yourself. This is an example of the comedic
>concept of punching up. It's unfortunate that he reacted that
>way but that's on him, not them.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're