Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIt seems pretty reasonable to be honest
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12743234&mesg_id=12743315
12743315, It seems pretty reasonable to be honest
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Mar-05-15 02:29 PM
Once I was talking to a hockey player about this topic, he was not the highest-paid player in the league or anything but at the time he was making a little under $5M a year.

He was sort of complaining about his commute and how if you ride in the carpool lane as just one person you get roughly a $600 fine. But as the conversation went on, I found out his "complaint" was pretty superficial, he really didn't give a fuck about that and to top it off another dude told me he was the most annoying guy to ride with because he was texting the entire time. So the little $150 and $600 fines meant nothing to this guy, who earned a little less than the guy in question here.

Similarly I see in California that our higher-than-average fines often *cost* us money. I had to go to court for a cell phone ticket and of course sat through other trials. Multiple people couldn't pay their fines and took jail time, usually about two weeks of it, sometimes 30 days. WTF? That costs the state money rather than creating revenue. It's weird too because in other courts they try to avoid that, basically reduce the fine to what the defendant can reasonably come up with.

So while I don't know if Finland's system is perfect, I do get the rationale and see how a flat-fine type system fails.