Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBut the gluten scare wasn't perpetrated by the medical community
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12742992&mesg_id=12743750
12743750, But the gluten scare wasn't perpetrated by the medical community
Posted by dotcomse, Fri Mar-06-15 01:25 AM
It was perpetrated by people who heard stories of people who had real celiac disease, and felt better off gluten - because they had a very real, very physical autoimmune disease. The medical community at large never came out ringing the warning bell against gluten, it was just a bunch of armchair doctors reading WebMD and garbage magazines being irresponsible, loud, and wrong.

If anything, the medical community it too slow to act on new information. Take dietary fats. The newest research suggests that even dietary cholesterol (e.g., eggs) is not the danger we thought it was - and the FDA just put out a notice telling the public that. http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/health/dietary-guidelines/ But I still work with cardiologists who caution their patients, including and especially those who've suffered heart attacks, cautioning them to limit their fat intake. But we've been saying that for decades, and heart disease remains on the rise. So, maybe the problem is the sugar that processed food manufacturers adulterate low-fat foods with to enhance taste. That sugar affects circulating hormone levels, affecting fat molecule breakdown and formation, as well as liver function, and is probably more to blame for cholesterol problems than fat intake.

Trans-fats are still bad, probably, and maybe for reasons not cholesterol related (i.e., cancer). But on a Saturday you can bet I'll go IN on a baked avocado with a whole egg in the middle.

Anyway, don't blame the medical community for perpetuating bullshit health fads, and don't throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to one of the rare syndromes where they really don't have an effective standard of care. You catch the bug, you can bet your ass you'll be ringing them up for some triple cocktail.