Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI did a three day trek in Bukit Lawang, Sumatra, Indonesia (1998)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12741390&mesg_id=12742041
12742041, I did a three day trek in Bukit Lawang, Sumatra, Indonesia (1998)
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Mar-04-15 01:14 PM
by 'trek' I mean traipsing around the jungle while a bunch of locals carried all the food and makeshift shelters; they also cooked, set up camp each night, etc.

So kinda cushy, really, but... If somebody had gotten killed, it would have been a while before we could have gotten word out.

As for how I liked it, well... mixed bag. I love hiking & camping & cooking out, so that aspect of it was cool. Didn't see much wildlife, though; one semi-wild orang, and a lot of elephant shit (but not elephants.) But some kind of thorny rattan grows everywhere and I kept getting the shit scratched out of me. And I got the shits. TMI but I have a very vivid memory of having the shits, squatting in the woods away from the campsite, and watching this bigass leech just fucking trucking its ass toward me across the vegetation I'd trampled. At one point I swear it rocked itself upward like a periscope, turned itself to focus on me and then just putting its head back down and keep coming.

So... yeah. I'm glad I did it, but between that experience and getting sick on the trek in Myanmar, I had enough of being completely out of touch.