Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIn NYC, and I assume other cities, they moved outward
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12740120&mesg_id=12740623
12740623, In NYC, and I assume other cities, they moved outward
Posted by BigReg, Tue Mar-03-15 11:20 AM
For NYC, guess where! (although ive been hearing about some beneath the radar stuff in queens).

Output doesn’t fuck around, you aren’t even allowed to take selfies. Id crown it the current king based on pure space and the fact it’s got a rooftop.

Verboden has a solid space, the booking needs to be a bit better (seems they love their 90’s electronic music acts a bit too much).

On mid sized spaces:

Baby’s All Right seems to have a good balance of indie rock acts and genuine dance nights. OKp is throwing a party there in a few weeks, lol

Cameo was killing it with their lineups for a minute. Doing a quick look at their calendar now though, not so impressed, lol

The ‘It’ dance club was Bossa Nova Civic Club in Bushwick, but I have heard rumbles it might be no more…

But as far as pure bang for the buck goes? The cockroach of NYC clubs, Webster Hall, has ‘House Party’ on Thursdays which is by a very very large margin the best hip-hop party in NYC; just blaze and funkmaster flex? It’s a wrap.

Thats not to say NYC nightlife is still thriving. I went to a panel late 2013 that involved a bunch of the current hot crop of NYC club owners that I thought would drop some funny ancedotes and advice on opening your own space. It was more like a funeral, and since then two of the guys involved (glasslands, 285 kent) got their places shut down when fucking VICE took over their warehouses to build their new global headquarters, lol. Here's the link to the video feed.

http://bedfordandbowery.com/2013/11/watch-todd-p-peter-shapiro-and-other-north-brooklyn-club-owners-talk-nightlife-and-diy/

>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"One of the most important things in life is what Judge
>Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to
>whether you're r