Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectNYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12733729
12733729, NYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug
Posted by woe.is.me., Mon Feb-23-15 11:24 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/23/arts/music/hip-hop-star-bobby-shmurda-in-jail-finds-his-label-unsupportive.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
12733742, good.
Posted by FLUIDJ, Mon Feb-23-15 11:33 AM

12733745, RE: NYT: Label Gives Jailed Shmurda the Kanye Shrug
Posted by Mongo, Mon Feb-23-15 11:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeIcqYciGLo
12733751, i'm actually surprised
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Mon Feb-23-15 11:37 AM
but not at the same time. i was saying to my brother the other day they might be trying to build a more in-depth story behind him, let him suffer a lil bit, get that underdog status up
so that when he DOES come back out its more impactful financially for them.
i mean dude dropped an EP and NOBODY knows about it. i only know about it bc i went
searching to see if he has any other music and was shocked to find out it dropped
in november. they gonna bail him out one day, watch. (lol)
12733755, he *only* needs $200k, correct?
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Feb-23-15 11:38 AM
did he run through his advance that fast?
and if the label has made their money back it seems like 200k wouldn't be a big deal when the opportunity to make even more money (off this arrest even) is out there
12733764, exactly which is why i came up with that conspiracy theory above
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Mon Feb-23-15 11:45 AM
lol like that's lunch money for epic/sony
why not bail him out?
i was at a fashion show that i performed at the other day and the dj played computers & shmoney dance all them NYU college kids knew the words
they need to free rowdy rebel too.
lol :(
12733791, Naw, Rowdy Rebel is gonna be locked up for the duration...he ain't
Posted by Fishgrease, Mon Feb-23-15 12:04 PM
comin' home.

I can't believe muhphuckas really be wanting their BOSS to come bail them out of jail. Sh*t don't work like that in the real world, and seldom works like that in entertainment.

Pac only got out because Suge was wooing him over to Tha' Row.
12733799, i think he only expects it because they actually said they would tho.
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Mon Feb-23-15 12:12 PM
and then they changed their tune which again is why i came up with that theory
like why even pump fake on that? lol if you not then just don't
i feel like its all an elaborate scheme to build a story around him
12733800, Also we saw how sour shit got when Jim Jones bailed Max B out
Posted by T Reynolds, Mon Feb-23-15 12:12 PM
Max B made no less than 750 songs mentioning Jim Jones in a disparaging manner

AFTER Jim Jones put a mil up
12733803, ain't that some shit? and people still mad at jim jones behind it
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Mon Feb-23-15 12:13 PM
#TeamJimJones
12733809, it's all about PR and them protecting their brand...
Posted by gumz, Mon Feb-23-15 12:21 PM
they can afford to bail him out but they risk appearing like they've condoned his actions and aligning themselves with his crime by doing so. right now they can say "oh we signed him because of his music but we don't condone any of those things...etc.". if they bail him out they lose that argument and have to go on a campaign of "innocent until proven guilty" and all that which they probably don't feel is worth the trouble.

the other thing is, if they bail him out at 200k using whatever other assets as collateral and he for whatever reason fucks up again or skips bail then they really lose.

so they're just sitting tight and letting it all play out. if he gets off they still have him under contract and can still make money off him. if he gets locked up they can either cut their losses or release his album and make some change off it despite him being locked up.

they're just playing it safe like a big corporation is expected to. they don't give a fuck about him and he's not valueable enough to risk anything over. they'll just find another one of him.
12734309, no it's not. they wouldn't have signed a rapper that raps
Posted by ndibs, Mon Feb-23-15 07:34 PM
about the streets if they were concerned about that. it's not like he's singing uplifting music. they're just cheap. his music will sell online anyway and bring them money. but most of the money now is made touring and performing and he can't if he's required to stay in the state. so, may as well leave his ass in jail.
12734464, They're fine having him rap about it all day
Posted by gumz, Tue Feb-24-15 08:54 AM
but him catching a case while under their employment is another story. They will just let dude ride out the justice system and if he gets off they'll be right back to exploiting him. He's not valuable enough to be attached to and for them to provide backing to him at this point though. They're just keeping their names out of it.

They also probably don't think he will make them much money beyond the hit single so why bother investing more?

This is no different then when teams release a player who catches a case. They want to distance themselves from it altogether. The difference here is that once the shit dies down they will still have the option of continuing his contract should they choose.

Edit: We actually don't completely disagree. Money is definitely part of it but it's deeper than the 200k they would have to put up to bail him out. They probably weighed whether it was worth investing in bailing him out and backing him while he goes through all this and figured it wasn't worth it. They already cashed out on his hit single.
12733811, For some reason I have sympathy for Shmurda but hated Chief Keef
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Feb-23-15 12:23 PM
Anyone else feels this way? trying to figure out how I distinguished the two in my mind. It might just be when I saw Schmurda in intreviews I found him personable and seemed like such a kid to me.

I changed sidewalks if I saw Keef coming AFTER I saw him in an interview.

Shrugs.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12733829, I think b/c Keef felt/appeared to be emboldened by the attention
Posted by teefiveten, Mon Feb-23-15 12:32 PM
Pitchfork was loving the idea of taking that fool to the gun range and filming it

whereas it didn't seem like Shmurda would have gone down that route as far as really giving Pitchfork or Epic that kind of material to work with

i know folks were cringing at that video of him performing but he was being offered an out

plus keef doesnt' seem apologetic or remorseful and he's had friends and family die AFTER "blowing up" because the flames kept being fueled

this is my observation on it. it may not be the most accurate. it's not like they had to "control" shmurda the short time he was signed. he was pretty much doing shows and stuff. he wasn't threatening anyone or displaying weaponry like keef. and this case that's against him was being built long before he blew up
12733960, how? shmurda a million times worse
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Feb-23-15 02:07 PM
you cant good nigger bad nigger this shit.
12734036, Fuck this shmurda dude.
Posted by 8-bit, Mon Feb-23-15 03:06 PM
Just listened to one of his garbage-ass songs (first time I've heard anything by him). Just more "I'm a thug" trash talk raps. Can't feel sympathy for a dude promoting negativity having some negative shit happen to him. Fuck Chief Keith too.
12734437, Keef is a child hiding behind pain and dysfunction just the same.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Feb-24-15 05:01 AM
Probably harder to deal with because the pain and dysfunction is deeper.

Gotta see through the bullshit and at least try to understand our brothers and sisters.
12734445, I don't though. When I see a grown man inciting and clowning the
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-24-15 07:41 AM
murder of another person to me it's okay to go ahead and write him off and focus the limited resources on black boys who aren't nearly so far gone.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12734068, i thought the charges were dismissed?
Posted by esb225, Mon Feb-23-15 03:36 PM
12734335, his previous gun charge was dismissed
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Mon Feb-23-15 08:54 PM
the one he got way before they got swept up in the studio with like a million guns laying around lol
12734138, we talking about bail???..nigga bout to do time
Posted by Cenario, Mon Feb-23-15 04:20 PM
Da hell epic care about giving dude a few months out. If he somehow beat the charge, he under contract anyway. Epic win no matter what.
12734400, the sad irony...guess the nigga wasnt so hot after all
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Feb-23-15 11:23 PM
i hope he gets out, beats these charges & goes for meek mills belt

meek mill is the king in waiting. yall know that of course.

this kid has potential. needs better consistency in his beats tho.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
12734423, actually...
Posted by neuro_OSX, Tue Feb-24-15 12:38 AM
He was so hot he had to get himself put in jail to cool off... LMAO !!
12734491, see what happens when you tapdance on the table, Mantan?
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Feb-24-15 09:20 AM