Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIgnorant and possibly racist Academy member goes off on "Selma"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12733250
12733250, Ignorant and possibly racist Academy member goes off on "Selma"
Posted by neuro_OSX, Sat Feb-21-15 09:22 PM
She claims "Selma" didnt get nominated because it didnt contain an artistry. I guess I missed all that artistry in "The Help", "Monters Ball"... yea.. uhhh huh... She says she was offended by the "I can't breathe" t shirts worn by the cast at the premiere, so presumably she was offended by the Civil Rights movement as well. Oh and how fascinating she thinks that the only racists are "hillbillies" like the hill-folk depicted in the movie "Deliverance". Oddly enough I don't recall any racist moments in that film at all, please correct me if I'm wrong. I wonder how old this woman is, anything under 75 and I am disturbed.. SMH

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-2015-773902

quote:

First, let me say that I'm tired of all of this talk about "snubs" — I thought for every one of there was a justifiable reason. What no one wants to say out loud is that Selma is a well-crafted movie, but there's no art to it. If the movie had been directed by a 60-year-old white male, I don't think that people would have been carrying on about it to the level that they were. And as far as the accusations about the Academy being racist?

Yes, most members are white males, but they are not the cast of Deliverance — they had to get into the Academy to begin with, so they're not cretinous, snaggletoothed hillbillies. When a movie about black people is good, members vote for it.

But if the movie isn't that good, am I supposed to vote for it just because it has black people in it? I've got to tell you, having the cast show up in T-shirts saying "I can't breathe" — I thought that stuff was offensive. Did they want to be known for making the best movie of the year or for stirring up shit?
12733265, And Boyhood contains artistry. film yt for 12 years wins awards. Smh
Posted by 81 DUN, Sat Feb-21-15 10:34 PM
12733269, but in regards to "American Sniper", NOW she's able to separate
Posted by homer_pimpson225, Sat Feb-21-15 11:17 PM
... art from politics?
12733271, RE: but in regards to "American Sniper", NOW she's able to separate
Posted by neuro_OSX, Sat Feb-21-15 11:24 PM
BOOM!!! There it is !!

And her disconnect regarding "Selma" and folks wearing "I can't breathe t-shirts to the premiere is astonishing" hello!! Ummm civil rights issue... WTF ! Going so far as to say she was offended and felt these folks were trying to "stir up some shit"  No, the shit was stirred up 300 years ago and as a result a disproportionate number of white folks have yet to comes to terms with and deal with the shit some of their ancestors stirred up and some of them continue to perpetrate.

GTFOH!

12733278, *shrug* hollywood reporter does this every year
Posted by theprofessional, Sun Feb-22-15 12:39 AM
they find some anonymous academy member (maybe the same one every year) to "speak the truth" about the oscar nominations, and the fire always gets turned on whatever the most prominent black films or nominees are.

if i remember correctly, both quvenzhane wallis and gabourey sidibe were considered unworthy of their nominations because they weren't acting, they just pulled some black girls off the street to play themselves.

i'm sure they think they're providing their readers with insider insight, but really they might as well just print some youtube comments.
12733480, RE: *shrug* hollywood reporter does this every year
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Sun Feb-22-15 09:34 PM

>if i remember correctly, both quvenzhane wallis and gabourey
>sidibe were considered unworthy of their nominations because
>they weren't acting, they just pulled some black girls off the
>street to play themselves.
>

Which is what we learned straight from the school of Pacino and DeNiro. Have you ever seen one of them get lost in a character? Or is it them in different hair and clothing?
12733295, Haha good! Get mad you out of touch hack.
Posted by Atillah Moor, Sun Feb-22-15 08:26 AM
And get a real job while you're at it.
12733492, Sidenote: Historically Appalachians didn't really own slaves and weren't
Posted by Lardlad95, Sun Feb-22-15 09:54 PM
really part of the sections of the south that adhered so closely to notions of white supremacy.

Appalachians are 1) descended from the poor of the Irish and Scottish marches, so they were distrustful of authority and 2) lacked the finances and geographic location to own large scale plantations.

This isn't to say that they loved black people, but If I recall Eastern, TN and West Virginia wanted out of the confederacy.

Those hillfolk might not be progressive today, but they have been slandered in ways that aren't historically accurate.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
12733580, Well done
Posted by Lil Rabies, Mon Feb-23-15 01:31 AM
Good points.