Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecthard to say where the future lies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12732435&mesg_id=12732590
12732590, hard to say where the future lies
Posted by fontgangsta, Fri Feb-20-15 01:24 PM

my time between scratch and pop. mech was essentially the big publishing crash.
BUT i will say that the iPad was a major boost to the industry.
that was actually the catalyst for my hire at popular mechanics - they were staffing up like everyone else at the time because we all realized that we HAD to make print and tablet editions from here on out.
not just that we had to, but that it was a fun & cool new opportunity to grow our brands, step into a cool new digital space that wasn't as prohibitive and junky as the web, etc.

after that initial tablet boom, publishers weren't seeing the return on investment they wanted, but all knew they still had to produce tablet versions.
since the framework was in place at that point, the objective then became streamlining the process and limiting (or eliminating) tablet-only staffers.
the tablet boom also led to many mags exploring stand-alone apps as well, some of which are kinda cool, but most of which are throwaways. but with print bringing in less and less money, its really just about new revenue streams anywhere they can be found.

as for me - I'm a magazine guy. i don't care if its a magazine for tablet or print, but ill always be a magazine guy.
but I'm NOT a web guy. ill never go there. and to me, a magazine on the web isn't a magazine, its just a website.