Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectR.Kelly Versus Jay Z who was the best of their world?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12731753
12731753, R.Kelly Versus Jay Z who was the best of their world?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
songs

albums

colabs

live performer

impact

these two cats were the Shaq and Kobe of their musical worlds and no triangle could keep the worlds together.

so who you got and why?

who made the more classics and this is strictly music

Poll question: R.Kelly Versus Jay Z who was the best of their world?

Poll result (27 votes)
R.Kelly (6 votes)Vote
Jay Z (20 votes)Vote
a tie (0 votes)Vote
i don't like the camel maxx and yet I'm so so on the Aruh you cool though (1 votes)Vote

12731775, I just came to say the Best of Both Worlds was a classic
Posted by esb225, Thu Feb-19-15 03:29 PM
that got no love all bc Rubert was getting at them young girls
12731894, you gotta hear Jay talk about that project. best.of.both.worlds.
Posted by BigJazz, Thu Feb-19-15 04:36 PM
he had it all mapped out. they come to town and the beauty salons are instantly packed cuz everybody gotta get fresh to go to the show...

best of both worlds

you got the biggest name in R&B and the biggest name in hip hop at the same time...

best of both worlds

there's no way this can't go down as the biggest tour in history

or is there?

how that shit blew up is a matter of conjecture. some say it was Arruh and his young girl issues. some say it was Jay's ego that didn't mesh with Arruh since Jay was not used to either sharing top billing or maybe playing 2nd fiddle

either way...

the product they did put together was superior. it wasn't epic cuz you could tell by listening to the record that there was discord. but still, the album was tight...

i can only wonder what would have been. and i'm not even an Arruh fan. i dislike him as a person but i can't front on what he did as an artist...

best of both worlds
12731787, could not be the first time you've made a Jay-Z/R-Kelly post
Posted by bentagain, Thu Feb-19-15 03:36 PM
it just couldn't be.
12731936, Not exactly going how you expected huh?
Posted by kwez, Thu Feb-19-15 05:12 PM

12732194, yeah it is, just as expected
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Fri Feb-20-15 01:34 AM
and i will always maintain the negative toward Kells is more personal base than music base.

because nobody can tell me that Jay Z musically is in the same universe as R.Kelly.

if R.Kelly was working with Beyonce then she would have Legit Career as a Artist and you can Quote me on that. not no crap like Drunk in Love and all that other foolishness she puts out

and to have Kayne cheerlead off that wackness is wack
12732199, Yes, her career is mostly fraudulent.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Feb-20-15 01:50 AM

>if R.Kelly was working with Beyonce then she would have Legit
>Career as a Artist and you can Quote me on that.
12732220, So if you knew the end result why make the poll?
Posted by kwez, Fri Feb-20-15 04:38 AM
12732269, so he could tell everyone why they're wrong and why R is king.
Posted by KiloMcG, Fri Feb-20-15 09:14 AM
he does it over and over again.
12732200, I'll go with the one who didn't rape.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Feb-20-15 01:50 AM
12732212, Yellow, easy call. Blue finna win in a blowout tho
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Feb-20-15 02:51 AM
12732218, Blue, and it ain't even close.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Fri Feb-20-15 03:59 AM
R. Kelly's quality control lets him down badly... too much filler, too much corniness. He must have something like 20 dodgy records to every great one, but the great ones ARE really fucking great.
12732299, lol at knocking Kells for quality control when Jay got hella filler
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri Feb-20-15 09:41 AM
12732336, Jay never made a song that I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.
Posted by TheAlbionist, Fri Feb-20-15 10:19 AM
R Kelly has whole albums full of them.

Trapped In The Closet? Really? That's the work of a "great"?

Marry The Pussy?

Nah. Nope. Uh uh.

When he's good, he's really good, but when he's bad there are few anywhere that sink to the same creative nadirs. Truly embarrassing output at times tbh, but then he'll hit you with an I Wish out of the blue... he's capable of so much, which is why I find him so disappointing.
12732343, Absolutely
Posted by gumz, Fri Feb-20-15 10:23 AM
>Trapped In The Closet? Really? That's the work of a "great"?
12732353, RE: Jay never made a song that I couldn't tell if it was a joke or not.
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri Feb-20-15 10:33 AM
Jay takes himself too serious to be jokey. I don't expect him to make silly songs. Still got hella filler on most of his albums. RD, The Blueprint, Black Album & American Gangster are the exceptions of course.
12732290, Red and its not close ... by miles
Posted by Challenger, Fri Feb-20-15 09:35 AM
Arruh hovered over R&B like clouds in the sky: from record sales, hit songs, ghost-written songs, movie scores, production for himself and others and diversity of music

Jay rarely had the most record sales (Ja, DMX, Em, Nelly all had their shine even after Jay popped off) but has a gift for good music and associating himself with good/great producers. That plus his talent as a lyricist was/is a great combination ... but he's no Arruh.

Still, I can't get past Arruhs demons ... damn shame ... that album should have been epic.

Both careers great though so Im sure they are not losing any sleep.

Challenger-
12732309, RE: Red and its not close ... by miles
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri Feb-20-15 09:45 AM
>Jay rarely had the most record sales (Ja, DMX, Em, Nelly all
>had their shine even after Jay popped off) but has a gift for
>good music and associating himself with good/great producers.
>That plus his talent as a lyricist was/is a great combination
>... but he's no Arruh.
>

This is where I'm at with it. Jay was always among the top but never THE top dude. Gotta add 50 to your list because he shined after Jay became "King of New York" or whatever.
12732312, yup...he was always number 2 or 3...
Posted by gumz, Fri Feb-20-15 09:48 AM
but he stayed there forever while the folks that were poppin more than him shifted up and down and downright disappeared. he never had a run like 50 in '03 or Nelly/Ja/DMX before that or Em throughout all that or Kanye and Drake after.
12732295, Musically...RKelly's lows are much lower but Jay never peaked like Kellz
Posted by gumz, Fri Feb-20-15 09:39 AM
Jay didn't even have a #1 single until Empire State of Mind....Kellz had straight up ballads. His platform definitely reached greater heights at different stages of his career then Jay ever has. But there's no question that Jay's consistency and longevity is untouchable.