Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCorrect again
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12731445&mesg_id=12732122
12732122, Correct again
Posted by lfresh, Thu Feb-19-15 09:43 PM

"But, as I've previously noted on this blog, there's been a growing resentment of the Oscar campaign process by more and more Hollywood artists, who are "fed up with the parade of glad-handing that has come to define the fall-to-winter awards season," as GoldDerby.com put it 2 years ago, the last time I wrote about this; the countless events, appearances, interviews, and receptions that are apparently expected from those who hope to make the nominations short lists, as well as win the coveted statue.

For example, during the awards season last year, Michael Fassbender joined the chorus, stating firmly in a GQ interview that he wouldn’t be campaigning for an Oscar nomination for his much-ballyhooed performance in "12 Years A Slave."

You might recall similar previous statements from others before him, made during recent awards seasons:

- David Cronenberg: "Every year I try to be as disconnected as possible... The people who are releasing the movie get excited, they want you to do more, and you understand it because the awards can maybe get more people to see the film… However, it is all bullshit, it is all annoying and it is all very problematical."

- Joaquin Phoenix: "I think it's total, utter bullshit, and I don't want to be a part of it … It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when 'Walk the Line' was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again."

- Anthony Hopkins called the process "disgusting."

- Matt Damon: "It's ridiculous … We had Harvey Weinstein with us for 'Good Will Hunting,' and he's the guy who really sees the matrix when it comes to this stuff and I think we did a cocktail party. That was it … It's been really shocking to me to see what's happened , and not all good."

And there's more... but you get the gist.

Maybe one obvious point to note is that these dissenters were all white and male. Could that be something worth considering in all this? The privilege to be able to make these kinds of statements publicly, and seemingly not be censured for doing so - at least, from where I'm sitting. Certainly not as much as Mo'Nique was in 2009/2010.

In response to Fassbender's refusal to play the Oscar campaign game, his "12 Years A Slave" director, Steve McQueen backed his actor, stating, “His campaign is on screen. That’s Michael Fassbender’s Oscar campaign. He’s done his thing. That’s it.”

Mo'Nique said pretty much the same thing when she was nominated, but that didn't help her cause very much"

Interesting how folks are changing their tune

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.