Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm sorry but they were not.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730921&mesg_id=12731585
12731585, I'm sorry but they were not.
Posted by initiationofplato, Thu Feb-19-15 01:51 PM
>no. all those historic gods i listed were once deemed as
>living, breathing entities. shit, some people may believe
>that thor is living and breathing now, i don't know, nor care.
>it isn't relevant anyway.

NO, that is incorrect. I have studied Mythology and Theology in great depth and I assure you that ancient gods were not thought of as real. They were symbols. Why do you think there is a god for every aspect of nature or human experience? I can provide you with a full history on where religious symbolism came from if you are interested.

>
>you're getting a bit mixed up with your terms. atheism isn't
>the non-belief of "God." it's the non-belief of ANY god or
>creator or magical spirit in the sky that governs the
>universe.
>

Semantics. The basic diagram remains.

"God" or spiritual being at the apex of the triangle, belief and non belief at the opposing ends of the base.

>this non-belief is based on the fact that there has been no
>evidence to suggest that there is a god. yes, there has been
>no evidence to suggest that there ISN'T a god either, but
>that's also pretty irrelevant, because what would constitute
>evidence to dispute god's existence? what would constitute
>evidence to dispute a a pink, fire-shitting elephant's
>existence? how do you KNOW it doesn't exist? prove it DOESN'T
>exist. to judge whether something exists, it's best to work
>with hard, objective, tangible evidence. this is why in
>science you seek only to 'prove' something wrong by setting up
>a working, testable hypothesis with appropriate variables.
>"God" is not a testable hypothesis as it cannot be proved
>right or wrong.

The idea of god is unique. You cannot compare the idea of god to the idea of a pink shiny elephant. The idea of god is not the same as the idea of a tooth fairy or unicorn either. The idea of god is universal as every culture on this planet has come up with an original interpretation of the same idea or concept. Ask yourself why every culture, race, or creed on this world has a god. It is an innate idea to question our origin and our creation. We are born with it. IF you contrast the idea of god to something like a tooth fairy, you will find 1 instance of the tooth fairy in corporate American culture and thousands upon thousands of interpretations of god everywhere on the planet. If the idea of the tooth fairy was like the idea of god, every culture on the planet would have a tooth fairy as well, but guess what, they don't.

Science is only one way of looking through the prism, and you should also keep in mind that scientific laws are constantly changing as our instruments of discovery improve. 10 years ago if you tried to suggest that the speed of light is not constant, you would have been laughed at and called insane, as it was a "LAW" determined through objective means, today, our instruments have discovered that the speed of light is NOT constant after-all. What was LAW, based on "objective" and verifiable systems has changed, and it will continue to change forever. Science does not mean the truth, science is simply a way of looking at the universe, but there are others. Locking yourself in a room called science and saying it is the only way to discover the universe objectively is illogical and incorrect because as I already stated, scientific laws change when the instruments do, so how can anything in science be objectively true when it keeps changing?

>
>and the reason i implied you were religious is because the
>stuff you're saying is the 'argument' i hear from religious
>people when they try to compare atheism and theism. how
>atheism is similar to religion. it isn't, at all.

That is not solely my opinion. There are teams of atheists who put as much fervor into their form of belief as Christians do. Have you ever met a douchebag atheist that shits on god and tells you for certain there is no god? I'm sure you have. Whats the difference between him and a Christian? Nothing because neither has enough proof to support their claims. They are the same. Looking at God from opposing ends of the same spectrum.

>
>maybe you're agnostic, and that's cool. but you're looking at
>this from the wrong perspective. atheism is not dependent on
>what anybody deems to be a god.

Not what anyone deems to be a god, but on the idea of GOD itself. THE VERY IDEA of god is ESSENTIAL to being an atheist. You simply cannot be an Atheist without raising the idea of god. You cannot be an Atheist without god, period. The idea of Atheism is built on the idea of god.

As for me, I am not agnostic, atheist, nothing. I am nothing, and I am everything. I have no labels and I will never be foolish enough to take one on.