Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I honestly see Atheism as an ironic joke played on the "non believer"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730921&mesg_id=12731481
12731481, RE: I honestly see Atheism as an ironic joke played on the "non believer"
Posted by Tommy-B, Thu Feb-19-15 12:56 PM
no. all those historic gods i listed were once deemed as living, breathing entities. shit, some people may believe that thor is living and breathing now, i don't know, nor care. it isn't relevant anyway.

you're getting a bit mixed up with your terms. atheism isn't the non-belief of "God." it's the non-belief of ANY god or creator or magical spirit in the sky that governs the universe.

this non-belief is based on the fact that there has been no evidence to suggest that there is a god. yes, there has been no evidence to suggest that there ISN'T a god either, but that's also pretty irrelevant, because what would constitute evidence to dispute god's existence? what would constitute evidence to dispute a a pink, fire-shitting elephant's existence? how do you KNOW it doesn't exist? prove it DOESN'T exist. to judge whether something exists, it's best to work with hard, objective, tangible evidence. this is why in science you seek only to 'prove' something wrong by setting up a working, testable hypothesis with appropriate variables. "God" is not a testable hypothesis as it cannot be proved right or wrong.

and the reason i implied you were religious is because the stuff you're saying is the 'argument' i hear from religious people when they try to compare atheism and theism. how atheism is similar to religion. it isn't, at all.

maybe you're agnostic, and that's cool. but you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. atheism is not dependent on what anybody deems to be a god.