Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I honestly see Atheism as an ironic joke played on the "non believer"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730921&mesg_id=12731450
12731450, RE: I honestly see Atheism as an ironic joke played on the "non believer"
Posted by initiationofplato, Thu Feb-19-15 12:30 PM

>
>ok. but why does "God" have to be apart of the equation? as an
>atheist, there's plenty of other gods i don't believe in as
>well. such as zeus, vishnu, thor, allah etc.

It's part of the equation because it's dependent on it.

By sharing your list you gave names to a god, however, Zeus and Thor were not God's in the typical sense, they were allegorical symbols for the super physical forces of the universe. They were not considered as living and breathing entities. When the original meanings were lost people began to accept them as personalities.

Vishnu was also an allegorical symbol, but Allah is considered to be a breathing, living, thinking god. You can name "god" whatever you like, the point is, by calling yourself an Atheist, any god you choose is part of the equation because the belief is dependent on them.

>but atheist IS the correct term. a theist is somebody that
>believes in a god or a creator. the prefix 'a' is added to
>determine a non-believer. no "God" needs to be added to any
>"equation." atheism is the belief that nothing exists. or,
>more correctly, it's the belief that we haven't as yet found
>anything that resembles a god.

I just think its funny that you can't be an Atheist without god, that's all. The term Atheist is reliant and dependent on the idea of god.

>
>nah. the "safest bet" is to say, "Up to now, there has been no
>evidence to suggest that there is, has been, or ever will be
>a god." much like it's the safest bet to assume that there has
>never been a fire-shitting, pink elephant.

The correct thing to say is, up to now, there has been no evidence FOR or AGAINST the existence of god. You cannot prove he exists and you cannot prove he doesn't. They are two sides of the same coin, which side you choose is up to you, you have just as much evidence as the other guy.

>
>i appreciate that you may have religious beliefs, but you
>can't try and lump atheism into the same pile of them.

I don't have any religious beliefs. I am not religious, and I'm not sure why you interpreted that. I just think its funny that Atheism cannot exist without god, that's all.