Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSooooo my daughter might have measles.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730778
12730778, Sooooo my daughter might have measles.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Feb-18-15 05:17 PM
Her immunizations are up to date, but that second shot for measles wasn’t due until after she turned 4. The doctor called her a ‘prospective case’ because enough symptoms- including the obvious, a nasty rash that covering the top of her body, which has since spread to her legs-are present to warrant a test. That whole urgent care visit was a nightmare. We couldn’t get her to hold still in the slightest to draw blood, so my poor baby got stuck three times.

She’s a fighter. Not sure what else I could have done aside from strapping her to a gurney. It didn’t help that the nurse was nervous as all hell after the first one, but I digress. We eventually had to roll with a urine sample and a swab from the back of her throat. The urine sample proved difficult enough to obtain from a girl considering the mechanics, and that long ass swab wasn’t exactly a welcome site to a girl who just got poked three times by a needle.

My wife had to get a test as well due to the pregnancy, so they’re both confined to the house until results come in. My wife was immunized so the assumption is that results for her and the baby will be fine.
12730792, I'm praying everyone is well.
Posted by Sepia., Wed Feb-18-15 05:30 PM
I got it around 6 or 7(was vaccinated) and it passed pretty easily, pretty quickly.
So here's hoping IF anyone's sick, it's a mild case.
12730848, Thanks.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Feb-18-15 06:09 PM
12731041, Reading the "prayer" comment REALLY disturbs me man...
Posted by GameTheory, Thu Feb-19-15 12:40 AM
I mean...well wishes are one thing...but this whole notion of intercessory prayer?

REALLY?
12731047, It doesn't disturb ME, and that's all that matters
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:07 AM
Don't run in here to bam it up over your religious hang ups. You don't like it, cool beans, it was directed at me and I'm good with it. KIM.
12733081, Wishing well, sending positive thoughts, etc.
Posted by Sepia., Fri Feb-20-15 10:47 PM
Same thing.

So yes. Really.
12730802, i hope everything turns out fine for your family
Posted by makaveli, Wed Feb-18-15 05:35 PM
12730850, Appreciate it!
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Feb-18-15 06:10 PM
12730828, seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the reason to not get the immunizations!
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Wed Feb-18-15 06:01 PM
They don't work.
12730846, Again, this immunization is done in two shots
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Feb-18-15 06:09 PM
Had this happened after the second shot, I'd say you had an interesting point.

Plus, I'm holding out hope this is just some generic rash and fever. I really want no parts of my daughter dealing with a near-dead disease that’s just made a comeback. It does seem to add up though.
12730902, I think he's being facetious
Posted by Vex_id, Wed Feb-18-15 07:31 PM
but ~3% of those who are vaccinated do not respond to the vaccine and remain susceptible to the disease.

Here's to a swift and full recovery for your daughter.

-->
12731055, Ah, gotcha. it's a lot of anti-vaccine types out there
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:18 AM
12730893, aww man. i'm praying she'll be ok (and your wife).
Posted by poetx, Wed Feb-18-15 07:03 PM
that's crazy.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
12731054, Thanks fam.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:17 AM
12730894, having a sick baby is always rough, hope she feels better
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Wed Feb-18-15 07:08 PM
sooner than later

my six year old still hates shots and watching that shit/holding them down feels traumatic as fuck

it'll be okay though

y'all be aight

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12731053, Thanks. You wouldn't even know she's sick right now, minus the rash
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:16 AM
If anything she seems a little more energetic than usual. It's exhausting, lol.
12730987, fuck I hope everything turns out fine.
Posted by RobOne4, Wed Feb-18-15 09:58 PM
12731049, I'm sure it will be. My brain waffles between best and worst case scenarios though
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:10 AM
12731009, it's crazy that measles is going around in 2015
Posted by theprofessional, Wed Feb-18-15 11:01 PM
like we're a third-world country. sure, people should have the right to make dumb decisions for their kids, EXCEPT when those dumb decisions also put your kids at risk. best of luck to your fam.
12731023, prayers to you and the family
Posted by Crucian1, Wed Feb-18-15 11:37 PM
especially for your wife....that a lot of stress and worry. Hope everyone gets better quickly.

12731052, appreciate it.the biggest problem for my wife is boredom
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:13 AM
It's an awful lot of kids shows, kids songs, coloring. It's been one day and she bored out of her mind, plus I kind of have to give my daughter priority for the first few hours after work.
12731036, damn, can i ask how old she is and what state are you in?
Posted by gusto, Thu Feb-19-15 12:16 AM
im assuming between 1 and 4.
12731048, 3 1/2. we live in so cal
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:08 AM
Thanks man.
12731056, damn, good luck man.
Posted by gusto, Thu Feb-19-15 01:19 AM
was there any protocols in place at urgent care. i thought if they suspected measles your not supposed to go inside or something.
they are supposed to triage outside.
any hints where she might have contracted.
prayers man.
12731359, Yeah. There's a sign out front that says to stop and call
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 11:25 AM
Which is weird, since the urgent care location is inside of a building and you have to take an indoor hallway to get there. So we stopped, called, and waited.

Thing is....Since this is airborne, guess what? We’re just sitting there for 5 minutes in a small hallway where any coughing, sneezing, or general breathing is going to serve as a setup for literally everyone else who has to work through there. It didn’t make any sense whatsoever. That sign should be outside if that’s the protocol.
At any rate they came and brought us duck masks to cover our faces, so at least I got to spend some time quacking it up with my daughter. She enjoyed them for a while at least.

As far as where she may have contracted, it’s either daycare or a birthday party we went to last Sunday. My money is on the birthday party since the daycare is required to have immunizations up to date, and if there are kids there with parents on some religious kick who refused to immunize, I’d like to think we’d have been notified of something like that. I’m not going to notify my friends from the party until I find out for sure, because there’s no sense in causing more panic unless it’s absolutely necessary.

12731059, Argh
Posted by lfresh, Thu Feb-19-15 01:42 AM
That where an anti vax-er struck up a convo w me on a bus
Of all places
She not realizing the irony of talking about contagion to a NYr on public transportation
:/

I was sitting there like yall are real...and comfortable talking to a stranger about this in public
Cali is crazy
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12731366, fck...sht like this pisses me off man. Hope she's just got a bad case
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Feb-19-15 11:28 AM
of the eczema....

Why do extremists pick the dumbest things to be extreme about???
12731399, Hoping and praying
Posted by JellyBean, Thu Feb-19-15 11:52 AM
all is well for the little one!

sometimes it's ok to turn the channel!! lol Between PBS kids, sprout (which is essentially pbs kids on steroids), disney jr and nick jr I thought I was going to snap when my pumpkin pie had pneumonia! I found she likes the food network and reruns of Gilmore Girls just as much as I do :-)
12731534, when do you find out the results
Posted by labcoat, Thu Feb-19-15 01:25 PM
hmmm
wildchild is 4 she didnt get another mmr shot

i need to look that up

i do know that it is dependent of the maker
though
12731569, They said 3-4 days. Public health called yesterday
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Feb-19-15 01:46 PM
but there was no update on the test results or any change in the expected time frame.
12731536, vaccine schedule for anyone interested
Posted by labcoat, Thu Feb-19-15 01:27 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

damn wildchild is gonna be PISSED
at her next appointment lol
12731613, thanks for this..
Posted by jimi, Thu Feb-19-15 02:10 PM
My son turns 4 in a couple of weeks.. so I scheduled an appointment
12733095, RE: thanks for this..
Posted by RobOne4, Sat Feb-21-15 12:36 AM
the vaccinations have to be done at least a year after the previous vaccinations. So call and make sure your child can get the next set of shots.

I fucked up one year and made an appointment with my son 2 months after his bday which was his normal appointment/vax schedule. So the following year I tried to get back on track but they wouldnt let him take any vaccinations until a year after his new date.
12731619, prayers out to your family
Posted by jimi, Thu Feb-19-15 02:14 PM
Thanks for posting this.. My son turns 4 in a couple weeks and as soon as I saw this post, I called our primary care doc to schedule an appointment

@silentintellect
12731698, This is tough to read
Posted by Dae021, Thu Feb-19-15 02:48 PM
I hope and pray that everything turns out ok.
12731704, hope she gets well soon...peace
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Thu Feb-19-15 02:51 PM
12731717, Hope she recovers quickly. Stay positive.
Posted by initiationofplato, Thu Feb-19-15 02:57 PM
12732879, My wife is negative. Urine test for my daughter is negative.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Feb-20-15 04:48 PM
My wife is negative. Urine test for my daughter came back negative.

Still waiting on the results from the swab, so we’re not out of the woods just yet. I’m annoyed by a few things. First, we had to call public health. I suppose it can be argued that they were waiting for all the tests to come back before calling, but considering the fact that my wife has had to take four straight days of sick leave time from work, it would have been nice of them to make that call instead of us having to call them for the result.

The other thing is that people in my office had a tantrum over it. The doctor cleared me, public health cleared me, and management says that’s enough. What pissed me off wasn’t their panic, but the fact that this was my unit that had the problem. One of these people was supposedly a friend of mine, and she never once said she was uncomfortable sitting near me. Not once. In fact, nobody has said a word to that effect. Nobody.

I’m medically clear. I’m immune. The public health official laughed when my supervisor told her about the panic, and apparently the exact wording was: he doesn’t have it and he can’t give anyone something he doesn’t have.

The truth is this: I’m medically cleared. The doctor says I’m good. Public health says I’m good. This area has had a good handful of cases. I work with the public. NEWSFLASH, motherfuckers, they’re not taking this situation lightly.

So, again, I’m medically cleared. I’m immune. I can’t give them something I don’t have. I’m here because I have to manage my time off due to the impending birth of my son in two fucking months. I’m here to make sure nobody else gets stuck with my fucking case load while I’m out.

Thing is, I FUCKING GET IT. 100%. I understand the panic. What I don’t understand is the complete lack of support. People want to do potlucks every month and pass around cards and request donations when a relative dies or whatever, yet when I get put in a tough position that every single one of them could just as easily find themselves in, where I don’t even WANT to fucking come in, like I wouldn’t rather be home with my family right now…… and zero support. Nobody has my fucking back. My supervisor does, which is a very pleasant surprise, but nobody else. Sorry, but that’s fucked up. At a minimum, talk to me. Say something. Let me know, ask questions, fucking say something. I’m human. Don’t treat me like a gotdamned leper. I get the ‘what’ 100%, but the ‘how’ definitely bothers me.

It’s this type of shit that makes me want keep 100% to myself at work. I’ve made genuine friends at work- here included- but damn if this shit doesn’t reinforce my apathetic worldview that people really, truly don’t give a fuck about anyone but themselves.

Motherfuckers wonder why I always have a chip on my shoulder, why I have a ‘me against the world’ air about me, and shit like this is why. I’ve tried to change that over the years but things like this make me think I was on the right track to begin with. Yeah, I’m being sensitive, I’m sure people will even call me a baby for it. So be it. It’s no two ways for me though, and I’m able to either allow myself such emotions or I’m a fucking icebox to the world…. And that’s where people always seem to wonder what my problem is.

Thank god it’s Friday, thank god my wife and unborn son are good, and thank god my daughter is at least half way in the clear, but motherfuuuuuuuuuuck these people I spend that 50 hours a week with. Typically, I would have updated my coworkers about the new developments. This time I just told my supervisor. She can let them know.
12732906, i'm glad they are ok!
Posted by lfresh, Fri Feb-20-15 05:07 PM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12733076, wooooowwwwww
Posted by labcoat, Fri Feb-20-15 10:34 PM
I'm so sorry that you
Had to deal with coworkers like that
12733080, Good news.
Posted by Castro, Fri Feb-20-15 10:44 PM
12733096, good news so far
Posted by RobOne4, Sat Feb-21-15 12:38 AM
except the whole work thing.
12733108, well hopefully the good news keeps coming and it was just a scare
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Feb-21-15 03:04 AM
the other stuff man, yeah it sucks but there is nothing you can do about it so you gotta let the bullshit blow in the breeze. dissecting it is just going to upset you and in the end you're the only one who will suffer for it.
12733142, great news
Posted by rdhull, Sat Feb-21-15 10:08 AM
12733166, awesome
Posted by makaveli, Sat Feb-21-15 12:01 PM
12734248, 100% clear of Measles.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Feb-23-15 06:03 PM
We got final confirmation Saturday morning and took her to urgent care the same day for a follow up. I kind of wish we had this doctor to begin with because he (correctly) noted that this rash is very much like sand paper, and that is not something normally associated with measles.

We tried to get a new swab to rule out strep/scarlet fever, but that was impossible. She actually freaked out when we took her temperature and pulse. She flipped when she saw the building we were pulling into. She really, really hates doctors right now after the previous fiasco, poor thing. So he just said to hell with it after about 30 minutes of every tactic imaginable and prescribed some amoxicillin.

So the rash is going down slowly but surely. The downside? I got nailed with the fucking flu Saturday morning. I slept through most of Saturday/Sunday, and I'm still pretty fucked up today. Thankfully she's cool lying down, napping, resting and watching tv right now. She's a pretty active kid and I hate to rely so heavily on the tv as a babysitter I just don't have the energy right now. Plus... it just plain hurts to move. lol. As an aside, Bubble Guppies and Team Umizoomi are her absolute favorites and those two shows are very information dense. She learns an awful lot from those shows so there is that I suppose.

But yeah. Nothing like good old fashioned illness to keep a family united.

Oh, and a thousand thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. It's greatly appreciated.
12734349, wonderful!
Posted by labcoat, Mon Feb-23-15 09:22 PM
She will get over the doctor fear soon
Does she have a pediatrician?
If so, have her see a doctor she is familiar with
It will calm her nerves