Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWe've had a really hard year
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730604&mesg_id=12736351
12736351, We've had a really hard year
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Feb-25-15 09:24 PM
Not sure if you've seen my other posts, but long and short of it is my son got diagnosed with some shit putting us in a two to three year recovery period. The first nine months were complete shit.

I think about it in the context of this post because as a homeschooler it's not something we were prepared for. You know how you think you're prepared for emergencies and in the heat of it some of that preparation leaps through, but then you realize you're going to be on alert for two to three years at least.

We still haven't completely fallen back into routine but the nature of things would have been diruptive homeschooled or not. We spent months traveling state to tstate for doctors and shit. we've had a lot of support from other homschoolers. Significantly it brought us much closer with one of the black families which has been quite helpful.

But I think one of the most important and reaffirming things I've seen has been my eldest daughter through it all. She is the oldest and most adjusted but also entering *those* years so i know she's been going through a lot. But her own homeschool practice has flourished insanely.

She has it in herself to have an interest and take it on beyond expectations. From reading, to coding, to writing fiction, to embroidery, to musical drama, to science experiments... She's just eating it all up. In some regards I know its an escape and emotionally the mrs. and i are doing what we can to help her work through that. But just the ability to do it, to go for what she wants and needs,thirsting to know more, that's why we do this thing.

My son has benefitted in some ways as well, but it's also crazy because of drug side effects and a bunch of other shit. It's a lot of responsibility on our part the helping him through this period of his life while encouraging the skills he will need going into the next. It's one of those stories you read in someone's biography later on - 'i got really sic when i was young' and then they go on to do great things. But they never get over those years. Man, it's rough.

My youngest though, she's a trip. She's been holding us all together. With two older siblings she just gets everything earlier, so now having just turned three she's officially become the boss. Really can't wait to see all she grows into.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."