Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectbookmarking article for later! always thinking of homeschooling
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730604&mesg_id=12730715
12730715, bookmarking article for later! always thinking of homeschooling
Posted by samsara, Wed Feb-18-15 04:29 PM
my question is: what was the final tipping point to make the homeschool decision for you? how did you and your wife look at her professional life when making the decision - was it something she wanted to come back to or felt like this would mean giving it up for good?

i'm basically homeschooling my daughter in math because her school/teacher does a terrible job at progressive education and math and at a decision point professionally.

and then there's black culture/history
german culture/history
and black german culture/history
that she will never get in school

when they went over the month of february with her 2/3 class, i think she might have been the only child who'd heard of a black history month

and yet her white male teacher decided earlier this year to have a classroom talk about "the protests" that i found so inappropriate and "othering" for black/latino kids. things like that just make me want to pull her immediately.

but there's violin, art, choir, movement at her school that we couldn't entirely replace in a homeschool context

i go back and forth on all of the points but have been really thinking about it for next year because i don't think there's an option for a mixed 3/4 class and she's always been ahead of her peers and i don't want her in a 2/3 class again next year.