Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectin our family, my wife, predominantly.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730604&mesg_id=12730668
12730668, in our family, my wife, predominantly.
Posted by poetx, Wed Feb-18-15 03:58 PM
she resigned from her corporate job (she was a mgr at IBM) in 2001, which ended up being the year we decided to do foster care and adoption. at the time it was to have more time to spend with the three kids we already had.

we know, however, single moms and single dads who work AND homeschool. it is possible.

when we first started homeschooling one of the things that was striking was that we could get through the academic day in only 2-3 hours. (it gets longer, later on). but kids can easily spend that much time on homework and, in our experience, most of that goes unchecked.

>Is it a shared responsibility?

again, it varies. whatever works for your household. i teach a Logic / Critical Thinking class. and i grade all writing assignments. my wife does just about everything else. my son goes to a science co-op. they do the teaching, but my wife does the grading, etc.

for others, there are online curricula, or co-ops, or even something called Classical Conversations (where all the teaching is done on one day, centrally, and the kids do homework and reading the rest of the week. that's *ugh* to us, but some people swear by it).

so you can be doing 5 different lesson plans for each kid, like my wife, or it can be like a la carte private school, where you ferry them around to various co-op classes. we prefer the more hands on approach, but a co-op or two is just so they do have some experience w/ the 'everybody sitting in a classroom' type deal.

>Do either of you have a 9-5 outside the home?

i have a 9-5 within the home. i work from home. i'm an IT consultant. depending upon my project, i may or may not have to travel. i'm usually not traveling, tho. so i'm around if they need anything. and no, it doesn't bother me in the least. if i need quiet for a conf call, i'll go find a room.

>
>If you do, do you teach stuff when you get home too?
>
>How difficult was it to teach subjects you have little to no
>knowledge of?

if you pick the right resources, it's really not a problem. for example, for math, we use something called Math-U-See, which is great. the book is very good, and it also has an accompanying DVD.

now, my wife (and i) have learned and relearned mad stuff in teaching it to our kids. that's kind of a good thing.

>
>Do you have any regrets about choosing this path? (I think I
>know the answer to this one)

emphatically no. it has been a blessing.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad