Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthere are entire homeschool conferences and leagues.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12730604&mesg_id=12730653
12730653, there are entire homeschool conferences and leagues.
Posted by poetx, Wed Feb-18-15 03:44 PM
i coach a JV / Varsity girls high school team (on which my middle daughter, a freshman, plays). and i'm an assistant coach on the Varsity boys' team.

we play through a collective, umbrella organization. sometimes that is a general organization that exists to support homeschool parents and students. other times one is created solely for sports (my kids used to belong to a homeschool band which was one of those independent entities).

in our case, in NC, there are teams spanning the state, with an eastern and western conference, and divisions among them.

in terms of organization and competition, it's akin to charter or private schools.

for example, my girls team, which is freshmen and sophomores, was JV in conference, but we played up at the varsity level non-conference. we have played 27 games, thus far, and have regional tournament this week and states next week. we were 6-0 in conference, 10-1 as a jv team overall, and 15-12 including varsity games, which included other homeschool teams as well as local charter and private schools.

there is also a post season tournament we'll be playing in with 100 teams (total, across all age divisions) from the midwest to up and down the east coast. teams will be there from georgia, nc, sc, nj, ny, md, ia, in, tn, etc.

there will be scouts from div 1 through 3.

my son, who is a re-classed sophomore, is starting for the 2nd year on varsity. he is in the process of getting looks. he also plays AAU (and my middle daughter was invited to come back to AAU) in the off-season with, and against some of the best players in the area and state.

i coached in the homeschool football league for the 2 yrs before this one (my middle son played his junior and senior years). he wasn't looking to play in college. nowhere near as many teams as in bball, but they rounded out their schedule w/ small charter and private schools and were pretty competitive.

generally speaking, homeschool sports is on the come up. one of the top mens bball recruits last year was a homeschooler. and some of the top womens bball players in recent years have been, also. moriah jefferson, who is a three year starter for UCONN (and who was the top guard in the nation when she came in) played for a homeschool squad in texas.

in our situation, the umbrella organization appoints a board for sports and a commissioner and AD, who handle the logistics of scheduling and getting us a place to play. we rent the gym at a local charter school for practice and games.

in season, we're lucky to have one night of practice (and one or two games) per week. but we go in and beat teams that practice every day.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad