Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI like how you singled out MOP in all the artists I mentioned but aside
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12729789&mesg_id=12730682
12730682, I like how you singled out MOP in all the artists I mentioned but aside
Posted by vee-lover, Wed Feb-18-15 04:07 PM
from that, this ain't got shit to do w/"hatin youth" ...what an ignorant and idiotic thing to say

Now let me tackle what you said below...

>Facts:
>
>1)Hip-hop (your mop example is prime) was AS violent in the
>golden era of the 90's as it is now. While we like singing
>along to classics, if you really listen to those lyrics
>outside of golden covered lenses much of it was fucked.

Uh why was it called the "golden era," Sherlock??? Could it be because you had more sophisticated or "conscious rap" music in terms of content that involved issues pertinent to blk ppl to offer a balance to the more violent rap music that was starting to take over the music by the early to mid 90s

Now that balance is nearly obsolete - we're saturated w/inferior music ad nauseam...which is why I think artists like Kendrick Lamar and J Cole have been so well received by a lot of the older HipHop artists.

>
>2)Crime is less then it was ten years ago.

Ok, so by extension blk youth are doing better academically/socially/culturally than ever before??
>
>know what is up though? people in jail, unemployment, decline
>in education standards

-do blk ppl bare *some* responsiblity for willingly playing into the traps set by the larger society? Like glorifying seliing drugs when we know where the road will eventually lead to. To a lot of our youth "doing a prison bid" is a badge of honor.though..and garners more respect in some instances amongst their peers than getting a college degree..

And academically speaking, that's not all on the dominant society either - there's a level of anti-intellectualism amongst many in out community, too...we don't value education as much as parents/grandparents once did. And the lack of a quality education reduces your chances in the job market...so we have to quit acting as if we don't have any agency concerning our condition...that we're somehow just helpless victims who aren't partly responsible for anything that plagues the blk community.