Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectfunny thing about that.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12729789&mesg_id=12730568
12730568, funny thing about that.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Feb-18-15 02:50 PM
i have direct contact w/the youth we're talking about. every. day.

LOL

and i'm not so sheltered that i believe that the influence that causes you so much hand wringing is unique to HH or Black kids. it's not. it's been happening w/popular entertainment and kids since popular entertainment has been targeted at kids. it's not new. which is why i'm convinced the kids are alright. they're no worse than we were at their age. or our parents were at their age. or our grandparents. sure, they look act and dress differently. trends and fads have changed dramatically over the decades and generations. but the kids are fine. of course some of them will go too deep and take the entertainment too seriously. that is a small minority. the overwhelming majority put the entertainment in its proper context.

the kids i represent - they don't tell me they've committed theft or battery or whatever b/c they heard it rapped. they tell me they did it b/c they got mad over so-and-so talking shit about them or they were off their medz or they were broke or hungry or a host of reasons. but it's never been about what some rapper said. and i am convinced that they'd commit the offenses even if they never heard any rapper say anything. b/c our parents committed the same offenses back before any rapper ever rapped anything. our grandparents did too. so, it's not about the music IMO. or if the music plays a part it's a tiny part. and removing the music won't solve the problems these kids face or that these kids cause, generally. so attacking the music is wasted energy if the goal is to solve the big problems in these kids' lives.