Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: crack & gang violence ravaged the hood while Afrocentric rap was king.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12729789&mesg_id=12730187
12730187, RE: crack & gang violence ravaged the hood while Afrocentric rap was king.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Feb-18-15 12:03 PM
>Quick question, do you think twerking in music had anything to
>do with twerking going mainstream and around the world?

i'm not sure twerking went around the world but i'll assume it did.

i think music played a part.

If so,
>what's the difference? Influence is influence.

we do the Electric Slide at weddings b/c of music and videos. i think that's cute. i have no problem w/it.

i can't agree that b/c my aunties do the Electric Slide and my lil cousins twerk that niggas are shooting each other b/c they hear it in music. ppl are able to figure out that they shouldn't just blindly repeat every behavior they hear and see in music and videos. they do the dances b/c the dances are fun. they don't necessarily do the shooting b/c the shooting is dangerous and wrong and can have serious consequences. i think the shooting is about much more nefarious influence than HH music.

in a nutshell, i think the shooting is about a lack of value - the shooters don't value the lives of the targets. they don't value their communities. b/c they're relatively disenfranchised.