Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI must be the only late 30s Black Man who thinks Eddie is highly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12729462&mesg_id=12729942
12729942, I must be the only late 30s Black Man who thinks Eddie is highly
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Feb-18-15 10:10 AM
overrated standup wise.

It's mainly because I've had a pops who was slightly older than my peers (he is 73 now) and while Richard Pryor was played all the time he didn't care much for Eddie who he found crude and mean spirited (call my dad progressive but he didn't care for his homophobic jokes way back when).

When I try to go back and see what all the fuss was about I am a bit underwhelmed.

Eddie played one role very well, the wise cracking black who made white america laugh uncomfortably. He road the wheels off jokes about the differences between black people and white people. Beyond that not much there.

Now his films on the other hand, that's where his legacy is cemented in my opinion.

BTW, when it's all said and done, once Chapelle releases his new stand-up special, he is totally bootin Eddie out of his current position on the GOAT Totem.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r